Chapter 6

Nighttime had finally arrived, and I was more ready than ever to find out if it was Blaise who kissed me at the lake.

It wasn't that it bothered me that I'd been kissed. I just wanted to know who was responsible for my first kiss.

"Good luck," Draco whispered. He pulled away to see a few of our housemates glaring at him expectantly, so he returned to my level and gave me a slight kiss on the cheek.

I felt myself smile at the gesture. It was sweet.

Is this what having a boyfriend is like?

Blaise and I waited up with Pansy until all the other Slytherins had gone. We continued to chat with just small talk until Pansy bid us goodnight.

Blaise and I spoke for a little while. It was either about nothing or everything with us - but I couldn't talk to him like I could Draco.

Stop comparing him to Draco, you dingbat!

"So, Blaise..."

He nodded eagerly.

I had planned to tell him I was unsure of what feelings I had for him, so I wanted to carry this out to make sure - but instead I just smashed my lips to his.

Rather than carrying on the kiss myself, I let him take the lead like I did to whomever kissed me before. As his lips began to move in sync with mine, I was almost certain of it.

I pulled away and instantly apologised. I ran up the stairs, but not without missing a tuft of blonde hair running into one of the boys' dorms and slamming the door shut.

Draco.

I went over to the door he'd entered and knocked softly.

"Draco," I said gently, "It's me. I want to talk."

He came out minutes later, stroking a pale, bony hand through his hear and rubbing his silvery eyes, yawning.

"I'm sorry, are you tired?" I asked, sighing. "It's just, I could really do with a chat about-"

Blaise walked down the corridor and instantly groaned. He slammed his fist on one of the other doors, earning a cry of surprise from the other side. I think it was a first year boys' dorm.

"Of course!" He said loudly, "How could I be so foolish as to think that you'd have feelings for him? You kiss me then you go running back to him. An act, my ass. You're in love with him, aren't you?"

I looked at Blaise in shock. Why was his tone so nasty? I know I'd kissed him just for the sake of knowing, but he was meant to be my closest friend.

"I was undecided," he whispered, "But now, I'm pretty certain you're using Draco to make me jealous. I loved you, Evelyn - but it's about time I gave up on-"

"Oi!" Draco yelled. "How dare you speak to her like that? Blaise, you're meant to love her. I know I'm not an expert, but what you're doing certainly isn't what someone who's in love would do. Be nice, for Merlin's-"

"SHUT UP!"

I had half expected the noise to come from one of the dorms, but it was none other than Blaise Zambini himself, yelling at his other friend Draco Malfoy.

"Blaise, snap out of it," I snarled.

"What-"

"I'm fed up of this," I told him. "How many times have I told you I'm not interested? So what if I were in love with Draco? You've had plenty of time to at least try and get over me. I may have kissed you for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't give you the right to take it out on Draco. Kissing you was my idea."

"So you didn't kiss me because you wanted to," he groaned. "I fucking knew it."

With that, Blaise finally stomped off. We heard the common room door slam, and neither of us cared that he was probably going to get caught by Filch and deduct points from our house.

I sighed. If only I could use magic to Obliviate Blaise's memory of the kiss.

I finally decided to tell Draco.

I called out his name.

"Yeah?" He said, looking at me in the eyes.

"It wasn't Blaise."