Chapter 18

I began writing a letter to my mother, something that I had often forgot to do ever since I came back to Hogwarts.

Hello, Mum, I wrote. I'm missing you dearly. I think I have fallen in love. I know I am almost sixteen, and I'm so young, but I feel like no other than Draco Malfoy has stolen my heart. I know it's silly, and I won't let it get in the way of my studies that I can actually participate in.

I am finding it hard being a squib lately. All of my friends can do awesome spells that still manage to baffle me, and there's me, often having Professor Snape cast spells for me or not choose me in lessons. How can I excel truly in my 'studies' when I do nothing at all, mum?

I wonder if I could ever tell Draco. His family are known for not being accepting of anyone but purebloods, so what am I to them? If only he knew, he would leave me in an instant...

But, that is a topic for another time. How are you, mum? I miss you lots, and I hope to see you soon.

Love, Evelyn

I sealed my letter in an envelope and got my owl, Nightmare, to take it to mum.

That's when I turned around and saw a girl I did not recognise. Her deep, almost black, brown eyes stared into mine with a look of determination. A sly smile was plastered onto her lips, and she sprinted out the door.

I knew what she was doing all too soon. But why? And who was she?

"Draco!" She was calling out, "Draco Malfoy!"

There was no response, but Pansy came running from the common room and met the girl on the stairs.

"Ebony!" She called to the girl, whose name I was now aware of.

"Pansy," Ebony greeted cheerfully, "Where is Draco?"

"Stop," I called out with force. "Why are you so-"

"I heard someone call my name?"

I turned around and gulped as I saw Draco. This was it. Our relationship had only just started, but I knew once Ebony revealed my secret, his family would find out too and I would be finished.

"Yes, may I speak to you privately?" Ebony smiled, sickeningly sweetly.

"Um, I-" Draco looked towards me.

I knew this was inevitable, so I nodded and watched him as he walked over to Ebony.

It occurred to me that Draco would be suited so much more to somebody like her. She appeared to be older than me, with black hair and stunning brown eyes lined with perfect eyeliner.

I was jealous.

Draco was facing me, and I saw the drop in his expression. He looked towards me in disappointment.

What hurt the most was when he walked towards me, eyes glued to the floor, and walked straight past me.

I glared at Ebony, ready to hex her into oblivion when I realised... I couldn't. I'd tried so hard to fit into this world that I forgot I'd never really be a part of it.

This was fated. I was nothing more than a squib, and I would never be able to sastify friends, let alone a boyfriend.

So, instead of unleashing my anger on Ebony, I decided to get up and give her the worst death glare I could muster up.

Then, I turned around and walked away.

Just like Draco had.

And not for the first time.