Chapter 15

Draco's POV

And I was discovered.

I looked at Daphne pleadingly, to pretend to correct Evelyn, to pretend she was going crazy. But she didn't, and I knew what she wanted me to do.

I turned slowly and looked straight into her beautiful green eyes. I hadn't the courage to stare at her since I broke her, since I shattered her to pieces like broken glass. I watched the way her long, currently frizzy hair clenched her waist, as if she were tired, fed up. Her eyes were glazed over, lost for life. It was an understatement to say that I felt like I'd hurt an innocent, unsuspecting puppy.

Not that I cared about puppies...

"Hey," I dared to say, my voice cracking.

Evelyn nodded her head at me.

"I believe I have something to discuss with you," I told her.

"Really? Oh, I'm-"

"Go ahead," Daphne said, "I just wanted to stop off at the bookstore, anyway."

Evelyn hugged her friend and bid her goodbye before looking back at me. I said nothing, instead gestured for her to follow me as I led her to a nearby coffee shop.

We both ordered our drinks. I gulped as I looked at Evelyn while we waited for them to arrive.

"I... I didn't mean what I said, that day," I started, already feeling tears building up in my eyes.

"Sure-"

"Hear me out, please," I begged.

Evelyn agreed, and stayed quiet.

"For the longest time, my family have been involved with the Dark-... You-Know-Who. My father has instructed that I rid myself of any distractions or else You-Know-Who will most likely kill me as soon as I become of use when I'm seventeen," I told her.

"That's the legal age to use magic outside of school," I explained, "And the Dark-... You Know Who needs that. I didn't want to, and I wasn't going to until my father said he'd got in contact with Dumbledore and found out about you. He demanded that Crabbe and Goyle spy on me, and find out whether I actually did it. If I didn't, he would have kicked me out.

I wasn't going to, but then Crabbe and Goyle warned me that someone they knew, in You Know Who's company, stated that he had said if I didn't do it by Christmas, I was dead. I wanted to leave you enough time to get another date. Longbottom, eh?"

"Yeah, Neville," she replied quietly, "Can't we meet secretly? Like, in the Room of Requirement?"

"I don't know, Eve, just know that I'm still here for you. I still want you, and I promise I'll have you back as soon as it's safe," I commented, holding out a pinky.

She took it with her own and giggled, "I don't trust you completely, mister possible death eater. But, I am going with Dumbledore's words that your feelings are more than that on the surface."

"I care about you so much," I whispered, "Dumbledore is so right, like always. Pretty sure that pisses my father off, since I overheard him saying that Dumbledore isn't the one that sees me distracted, and that he wouldn't know if you were an obstacle."

"So Dumbledore tried saying that I'm not an issue?"

"Yup."

"Nice guy," Evelyn smiled.

"You're surely not cunning enough for Slytherin," I chuckled.

"Oh, I am. This one time, I snuck into Luna's dorm to help her with her homework," she began to laugh hysterically.

"You might be the only Slytherin ever to use your personality for good," I replied.

"And you might be the only Slytherin ever to go against You-Know Who whilst being on his side," she said, matter-of-factly.

"I don't think so," I shuddered, thinking of the one and only Severus Snape. He was definitely not devoted to the Dark Lord.

"We must go," I told her quietly.

Her hand brushed mine as we got up and started to leave. She was making me crazy.