Chapter 22

Ebony inched closer to Draco almost dramatically, and Blaise flung himself across the room immediately. A conversation between the two started, and I saw Draco head up the stairs. The perfect time to send that letter.

Draco,

You probably have an inkling of who I am. Please meet me at the astronomy tower in approximately ten minutes. I'll be waiting.

~E

After sending the letter, I climbed onto my broom but not before checking that the room was empty. After all, I couldn't afford to be seen by someone like Pansy. She wasn't completely trustworthy.

I got to the astronomy tower within no times, probably being seven minutes early or so. I heard footsteps then the lock of a door. The steps got further away again, and I heard Draco say,

"Bloody hell! Why did I get locked in?"

That must've been Blaise's handiwork.

I giggled quietly, but hid behind the staircase so that he wouldn't run off immediately.

"Evelyn?"

My heart raced at the sound of my name, but I knew I couldn't reveal myself.

"Ebony, isn't it?" He called out, "You knew I'd be hoping it was Evelyn, didn't you? You just wanted to mess with my head like you have been!"

Little did I know, Blaise had a little else planned.

Ebony had ran up the stairs, and was stood in front of Draco with tears running down her face,

"Draco, I don't trust anyone! I thought I could trust you."

Then she ran off. That's when I decided to reveal myself.

"Y-you," Draco said quietly as he saw me.

"You've been there the whole time, haven't you?" He cried out.

That's when I saw tears fall from his cheeks and he placed his hands over his face, covering it.

"Leave," he ordered.

"No," I said. "You care for me."

"I don't," he declared. Although, his voice broke.

"You spoke of hoping that it was me who called you here," I told him, "It was."

"Did you set up for Ebony to come here, too?" He asked, quieting himself from his own sobs.

"No," I said truthfully.

He nodded, "Okay. But Evelyn, please go."

"Why?!" I shouted, "Because I'm a worthless failure of a squib? Because I don't fit into your goddamn perfect world? You don't truly care about blood statuses, your family does! And you're scared, Draco! Just like Blaise, you're a coward!"

And with that, we both dropped to the floor and sobbed.

When did I become so mean?

"I'm sorry," Draco said.

"As am I," I mumbled back, "You have nothing to be sorry for."

"I do," he announced.

Draco knelt in front of me, and began to speak again,

"For years now, I have been consumed by my family's beliefs. I have only just realised with your words what an act of cowardice it was, because they are not my own thoughts. I was willing to be with you from day one, and I am to this day. But I can't, Evelyn. Even now, I have to conceal my feelings from my family. I have to conceal you."

"You don't," I told him, "Why can't I pretend? It's not like they're going to make me perform spells, is it?"

"Perhaps not," he sighed.

"Think about it," I said, holding his hands, "Have courage, and be brave."

I turned to leave, tears threatening to spill again, "And Draco?"

"Y-yeah?" He called back, his voice as unsteady as my own.

"Be different."