Chapter 17

I pushed Neville away from me almost instantly, and ran into Draco. His arms wrapped around me and he whispered,

"This is so wrong, yet it's more right than watching you in his arms."

I smiled into his chest as I heard him tell Neville to bugger off, and that I'd need some time to let go the fact that he'd blamed Blaise.

"I'm not even mad, or upset," I told Draco truthfully, "I'm just shocked, and I don't think he should have blamed Blaise. It just made the situation with him worse."

Draco nodded at my words. His stone grey eyes bored into mine every second, and he was being a very good friend.

"You could still count me as your first kiss, as you were up for that," Draco replied with a wink.

"Ack!" I groaned, slapping his arm, "I did that for a reason."

"Then may I kiss you properly for the first time?"

I felt shock consume my body as I heard Draco's words.

"You're not-"

"I'm serious, Evelyn. I know it's dangerous - but I'm not a Death Eater yet. How can the Da-... You-Know-Who punish me for something I have not been instructed not to do?" Draco answered quizzically.

I shrugged, "There's too many people around. You'll get judged."

"I don't care what they think," Draco whispered, and pressed his lips to mine.

Before I could think my body was responding, kissing him back with a passion I didn't know I had.

And then, the moment was gone.

"I..."

"We can't be together properly," Draco announced, "But being in your presence is enough."

"Until it all ends."

Draco glanced at me surprised, and I was unsure of which side of the double meaning he was getting.

We would be together until it all ends.

We had to wait to be together until it all ended.

I found myself getting snatched from Draco's embrace, and for some reason I was in Neville's arms again.

"Look, I'm sorry. I know I should've told you sooner, but I was terrified, okay?! I've been in love with you since first year! I just couldn't resist you anymore," he urged, his head attempting to duck down to kiss my lips for the second time.

I frowned, pulling away, "I forgive you. However, your behaviour was unnecessary, and I don't appreciate you blaming Blaise as I already have enough issues in that zone."

A scoff came from behind us, and I saw Blaise walk past with an angered expression.

I ignored it - Blaise was the least of my worries.

"Please try your best to fall out of love with me," I said to Neville before grabbing Draco's hand and leaving the ball completely. I took him to our common room.

"I've missed you so much," Draco announced, "Talking to you, and all that."

I nodded, but didn't say anything. I just listened to the slight hum that Draco was singing, and rested my head on his chest when we sat on the sofa.

"I'm so sorry, Evelyn," Draco said delicately, his voice breaking, "I like you so much. I... I have a crush on you, and I'm only-... I'm telling you now because I'm a jerk, I'm a wimpy, self-centred, coward and I want you to be my girlfriend.

I... I've decided that I might rebel when it comes to the war. I'll be a double agent of sorts, although the 'good' side - this school's side - will not be aware that I'm on their side. But I can't be sure. When the Dark Lord calls for me, I'll have to assess how much of a danger he'll be to us.

But Evelyn, for now, he can't hurt me because he hasn't informed me that I'm definitely going to be a part of the Death Eaters. It's my father's assumptions only. So, please be my girlfriend?"

I looked at Draco, tears in my eyes. I have never heard such a heart-wrenching speech - no one had ever shown such desperation to be with me, or even just to know me.

"Of course," I said with a smile.

Although I felt as though my happiness would never die, I couldn't help the feeling that something wasn't right.