Chapter 5

I awoke thirty minutes before breakfast was served, and I rushed to the bathroom. I cleaned my teeth and washed my face hurriedly, feeling proud and pleased when I realised I was lacking any spots. I applied a little eyeliner and mascara, smiling at my reflection.

Then I threw on my robes and met Draco Malfoy down in the common room like I'd promised.

As we began walking to breakfast, right on time, we saw The Golden Trio headed to the Great Hall. I smiled evilly.

Draco's hand had been brushing mine for the past few minutes, as if hoping I would grab it. This time, he quickly slotted his fingers between mine.

"For more atmosphere," he mumbled. "People will stare at us quicker if we're holding hands."

I smiled at him and laughed playfully when I noticed the bags under his eyes, "Draco, Draco. Shouldn't you have gotten some sleep last night? You're going to have an eventful morning."

"Shut up, Abney," he chuckled back.

Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley had entered the hall just a few minutes before Draco and I had. We spotted Blaise at the Slytherin table, grinning and waving at us. Why was he so excited over this plan?

Draco leaned over towards me, sending shivers down my spine as I felt his breath tingle my ear as he whispered, "When shall I do it?"

"Whenever."

And with that, Draco Malfoy had cupped my face in his hands and moved as close as he possibly could without kissing me just yet. We could hear a few gasps, and I could tell all eyes were on us.

That was the moment when Draco moved his lips just that inch closer to mine, and they met in a sweet, gentle kiss. One of Draco's arms moved to hold me around the waist, and I moved mine up to slide around his neck.

He continued to kiss me, allowing me to take a few breaths. Blaise had instructed to kiss for a while, as then he could tell who looked most surprised out of our prime suspects.

All of the teachers turned back to their breakfast, ignoring the sight of Draco and I kissing increasingly vigorously in the middle of the hall. I must admit, I was enjoying it, and didn't really want it to stop.

Draco finally pulled away and leant against me for a few seconds, muttering in my ear, "Not bad."

"Same goes for you, Malfoy," I said, giving him a little wink. I could see his cheeks had a pink tinge, as I could feel mine did.

"Oi, lovebirds, get over here!" Blaise called. Draco took my hand in his again, and we went to the Slytherin table. I frowned at this - I was surprised he was continuing the act.

"That was great," Blaise clapped. "To be honest, I'm thinking Longbottom looked the most surprised. You're pretty fierce, Eve, and I think he'd tell you where he was that day."

I smirked, and strutted over to the Gryffindor table, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Neville," I called out daintly. He looked up and I spoke again, "Would you mind if I spoke to you outside for a few minutes? It's about Herbology."

Neville Longbottom agreed quietly and as soon as we were out of sight, I pushed him against the wall - not too harshly.

"Listen, Neville," I started, "Yesterday, I was kissed upon looking for Draco. Where were you around dinner time?"

I spotted panic in Neville's eyes, and I was pretty certain it was him.

"Black Lake," he mumbled. "I was in the water collecting plants. I... I saw you get kissed."

"Then why did you look so shocked when Draco kissed me just now?"

"I... I think I know who it was," Neville said. "And... Ma- Draco might kill him."

"Well?" I said. "What are you waiting for? Tell me."

"I don't want to betray him! Malf-... Draco will kill him!" Neville cried out, trying to get out of my grasp to make it for the door.

"I'll make a deal," I said quietly. "You tell me who it was, and I won't tell Draco."

"P-promise?"

"Alright, whatever. I promise."

"It was..."

My eye widened as Neville told me their name. It couldn't be, right? Someone must have used a Polyjuice potion.

I thanked Neville quietly and rushed back into the Great Hall, grabbing Draco's arm. I may have promised Neville I wouldn't tell, but I wasn't in Slytherin for no reason - even if I was just placed there for my safety.

"Draco," I whispered, against his shoulder. I felt some tears spill down my cheeks, and into his crisp white shirt.

"What?" He whispered, stroking my hair. "Who was it?"

"It was... Neville thinks it was Blaise," I whispered.

"But Blaise was in on helping-"

"Blaise asked if I have feelings for him, and I said no. Could he have gotten to the Black Lake before I did?"

"You didn't recognise his scent or anything?" Draco asked.

My eyes lit up with hope and sadness at the same time, "I know how to settle this."

Draco's eyes filled with confusion. "You're not gonna ask?"

"No, if he's lying about it now, he wouldn't admit it later. I'm going to have to kiss him again."

"A-... Are you sure?" Draco asks, scratching the back of his head almost nervously.

"Well, yeah. After all, it was my first kiss so it should be pretty easy to decipher from yours," I told Draco, who was in the middle of a drawn-out sigh.

"I guess," he nodded. "Go for it."

"I can't kiss him right now," I said quietly, "And I especially can't kiss him in the Great Hall."

"Yeah, people will think you're cheating on me."

I looked at Draco with wide eyes.

"What?" He asked, "We might have to keep up this act for a few weeks... Just until people get over it."

I nodded, "Maybe I should kiss Blaise tonight."

"The sooner the better," Draco mumbled under his breath.

Dinner

"Blaise, let's hang out tonight," I said. We were seated at dinner, Draco next to me (keeping up our act) and Pansy next to Blaise.

He looked up from his meal awkwardly, "Any reason why?"

"No," I told him, "I just feel like hanging out. You and me, yeah?"

Draco had finished his meal and held my hand under the table. I didn't understand - no one could see anyway, and everyone was too busy eating their dinners to notice what we're doing. I gave him a confused look.

"I'm trying to see if it'll piss him off," Draco whispered in my ear.

"Sure," Blaise said as he swallowed his last forkful of mash potato.

"Alright," I smiled back.