Chapter 4

"I'm telling you, Evelyn. It wasn't me," Draco said calmly.

"Then who was it? You have to help me find out," I groaned. Blaise laughed in the corner and I glared at him in frustration.

"This is your fault! If you hadn't of told him I got kissed, then I wouldn't have to ask for his help," I snapped angrily.

"Am I that bad? What the hell did I do to you?"

"Look, Draco. I find it rather offensive when you, who I consider a friend, accuses me of being in love with Blaise! I'm not, alright?" I said quickly, glancing at Blaise. He looked a little hurt, but not nearly as much as he did when I first told him I wasn't interested in him romantically. Neither of us had spoken about that incident.

Draco sighed, and remained silent. I was glad - I didn't want to make an enemy of Draco, nor did I want to forgive him so easily.

"Alright, can you explain what they looked like again?" Blaise asked, trying to cover the heavy atmosphere.

"I mean, all I could see was this black cloak that he pulled over his face. He had the same sort of figure as Draco, as far as I could see," I explained, again.

"A Death Eater?" Blaise suggested.

"No," Draco said, "Why would they go after her?"

I gulped. I knew I was a squib, and if the Death Eaters found out, they probably would come after me.

"Why are you pulling that face?" Draco asked. "You know something we don't?"

"Um - no. Well, not really."

"Not really?" Blaise questioned, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I don't know anything," I said. I felt tears prick at my eyes, "Why would they kiss me like that? Do you think they poisoned me?"

I saw Draco give me a sympathetic look, and he patted my shoulder softly.

"Evelyn," he said, "We're going to find out who did this to you. So, don't worry."

I smiled at him and granted him a quiet thanks. He nodded.

"I still don't get it," Blaise spoke up. "She's just an ordinary witch. What about your family? Do you think it's something to do with that?"

I wished I could speak up. But I couldn't, because I would lose Blaise and Draco if they found out I were a squib.

"My father's dead," I told them. "My mum doesn't work or anything. She's just a retired witch, I guess you could say."

"Seriously, what's the fuss about? You're a pureblood witch with a pretty respectable family. Why would anyone be going after you?" Blaise snapped, tapping his fingers on a window.

Draco's face lit up with realisation, "What if we're assuming the worst? What if it's just a student who was desperate to kiss you but can't because they're, say, a Gryffindor?"

"Draco," I laughed, "Nobody wants to kiss me."

Blaise coughed sarcastically. I sighed at him. He hadn't told me of his feelings. I knew, though. He'd looked so hurt when I said I wasn't romantically interested in him.

"Could've been Potter," Draco spat. "Or even that Weasley git."

"Longbottom," Blaise suggested. "But how will we find out?"

Then, Blaise's features lit up with a dark aura and a smirk. I frowned, and groaned when he told me his newly-formed plan.

"I don't-"

Blaise cut Draco off, "We'll use you."

"What?!" Draco and I said at once.

"Come on, you two. Everybody's been expecting it for a while, even Pansy. If I don't encourage it, it will happen anyway."

I sighed, "I'll do it."

I heard a very dramatically audible groan from Draco, "I'll do it, too. But only to see the look on one of their faces."

"Alright. Tomorrow, breakfast. What'd you reckon?" Blaise asked, nodding towards me.

"That's fine by me," I said quietly. "I just want to know who it was."

"Was it good, anyway?"

I glared at Blaise and slapped his arm, "No, actually. It was pretty bad."