Chapter 2

Two Years Later

I was finally returning to Hogwarts for the start of my third year there. I had made stable friends, and I was placed in Slytherin. Although this was a dangerous move as many Slytherins were purebloods who hated squibs - take Draco, for example - it would be the safest option in terms of getting found out, and Dumbledore decided that Snape would be the best at covering up for me when I couldn't perform spells.

I was sat on the train with my best friend Luna. Although she was a Ravenclaw and Slytherins weren't particularly well-known for mixing with other houses, we had met on our train journey to Hogwarts for the first time, and we had been close since. She didn't know I was a squib, so it was fortunate that we weren't in many classes together.

Her fasination with strange creatures like Nargles baffled me, too.

"Oh, gosh... Evie, I think those Nargles are getting to my head again," she said, as if on cue.

"Why?" I asked, looking out of the window then back at her light blue eyes which were opened wide.

"I just feel sort of light-headed," she spoke softly. "You go find your Slytherin friends, Evelyn. I'm going to take a nap, so I don't want to lock you in here with me."

I smiled, and nodded. I left and found Blaise's compartment in no time.

"Eve!" He yelled, getting up and hugging me. As I hugged him back, I saw Draco giving us a bit of a glare in the corner.

I pulled away from Blaise and sat next to Draco as Pansy was next to Blaise (for once!) and smiled at all of them.

"It's good to see you guys again!"

Pansy smiled and nodded. We were never as good of friends as Luna and I, but Pansy and I could probably be called friends.

"Is it?" Draco said sarcastically.

I whacked my fist on his arm, "How could you say such a thing, Draco? I'm hurt!"

My friendship with Draco was somewhat the same as the one I had with Pansy. We weren't close, but we were friends.

"Yeah, whatever," he said, looking out the window.

I noticed Pansy stealing glances at him, then turning to look into the corridor. She was sat as far away from him as possible.

"Have I missed the trolley?" I asked Blaise.

"Yeah, she came a few minutes ago. Want me to come with you to catch up?" He replied.

I began to speak, but Draco interrupted.

"If you do want to, I'll come with you. I'm really fancying a pumpkin pasty," he said.

I nodded and led him out into the corridor. I heard Pansy scoff, but I figured it was at Draco and not me.

"What's going on with you two? A lover's quarrel?" I asked as Draco and I were halfway to the trolley. I could see her in the distance.

"Look, I'm not-"

"Don't deny it, Draco. You've kissed her in the common room plenty of-"

Suddenly, I was slammed against the side of the train with Draco's hands either side of my head.

"I use girls," he said. "I don't love Pansy. This morning, she got here early to tell me she has deeper feelings for me. I rejected her."

"Draco, I know you better than I think you do," I said as I pushed him off and caught up to the trolley lady. "You won't always use girls."

He sighed and shook his head, "Staying hopeful, are we, Abney?"

I got Draco a pumpkin pasty and myself a chocolate frog and a pack of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans as I laughed and shook my head, "No, Malfoy. What is this? A game of surnames?"

Draco growled as he saw who was in the compartment we were stood outside. Of course it was Harry Potter.

He chuckled at the sight of Harry, changing his mind.

"Stupid Potter, Granger and Weasley. I'm surprised you're here for another year. You haven't been expelled yet, Potter-"

I tugged on Draco's sleeve and pulled him away from the scene. I paid the trolley lady and passed Draco his pumpkin pasty.

"You didn't have to-"

"Draco, I'm not as poor as you probably think I am," I giggled. We got back into our compartment as the door locked tight shut behind us.

"Was that another one of those bloody first years, I swear to Merlin I'll-" I stopped as I tried to rip open the door and shout at them, but I couldn't. The door was jammed shut.

Blaise burst into laughter, but soon stopped as the windows turned ice cold and began to freeze over. The lights went out, and it was more or less pitch black since our part of the train was covered by a hill. I found myself clutched to Draco's side, and I'm pretty sure Pansy was doing the same to Blaise. I couldn't see for sure, though.

"Is it..."

"Dementors," I answered. I was terrified and my blood was running to my cheeks. What if they were here for me? The worthless squib...

"It's going to be okay," Draco whispered so quietly that I could barely hear him. I pressed my face into the space between his shoulder and chest, breathing heavily. I heard some ruckus from the other side of the train.

I leant up and whispered to Draco, "I'm scared."

That's when his arm reached around me and pulled him tighter to him, sitting down and pulling me onto his lap. Pansy squeaked at the noise of the impact, and Draco called her pathetic and explaining what it was.

"Oh," she whispered.

I could feel the room getting warmer and the lights began to flicker at an extremely fast pace, so I jumped off Draco quickly and sat beside him before Blaise and Pansy witnessed it.

I was right, she was stuck to Blaise's side. I laughed as he uncomfortably pulled away, and our train journey began again.