Chapter 16

Evelyn's POV

I slid into my dress, still in awe over the soft, green material. I tied my hair up into a classic bun, and pulled out a few strands. I did my makeup - smokey eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara, and I was already putting on my heels, desperate to get to the ball already.

I walked down the stairs at the same time as Daphne and we both squealed as we saw each other. We each looked beautiful in our own ways, although I wouldn't have said that if I weren't wearing makeup.

"Neville!" I said excitedly as I saw him standing outside the Slytherin common room. I steadily walked over to him in my heels and hugged him tight. His emerald tie matched my dress perfectly.

"Hi, Evelyn! Y-you look beautiful," he whispered in my ear as he returned the embrace.

I grinned and took his hand as we headed to the ball.

My eyes searched for Draco when we got there, and I spotted him with Crabbe and Goyle. I felt relieved that he wasn't with a girl.

I squeezed Neville's hand as I led him down the stairs, my dress swaying at my feet. As always, I was just as astonished to see the beauty magic could create. The ballroom looked fabulous.

I guess that's one of the perks of being a squib - the amazement at the extent of magic.

"Draco and I sorted things out," I mumbled to Neville as Draco began walking towards us, without Crabbe or Goyle.

"That's, um... That's great," he whispered, "I have to-"

"Hello, Evelyn," Draco greeted, then his next action surprised me the most - his head turned towards Neville, nodded at him and spoke, "Hi, Neville."

Neville seemed just as shocked as I was, and stuttered a quiet greeting.

"I just wanted to wish you two fun out there," Draco said calmly.

It was infuriating that I was so confused as to why he was acting like this. He'd clearly stated that it was dangerous for us to interact - did he want me to die?

"Let's dance," Neville chirped up, confidently.

I could tell from the look in his eyes that he was determined to dance well, and it seemed as though he'd probably spent the night practicing - judging from the look of the bags under his eyes. I was only assuming.

We began to dance, and undeniably Neville wasn't brilliant at dancing, but he wasn't awful, either. I watched other people dance, as well, because I had always found that equally as fascinating.

"Evelyn."

I turned my attention back to Neville, who had called my name. He was blushing, and he looked shy.

"Yes?" I answered, trying to speak when the music was at its quietest.

"I need to tell you something," he muttered. I could barely make out what he was saying.

I saw a tuft of blonde above the crowd. My eyes didn't waver back to Neville until quite a few seconds later - where was he?

"I... I know who it was that day," Neville admitted, "And it certainly wasn't Blaise..."

There it was again. The blonde was creeping closer, until...

"I thought I could get away with that lie, but you went so much further to find out who had stolen your precious first kiss."

My eyes widened at the sarcasm and darkness in Neville's voice. Who knew he was capable of that?

"Are you curious?"

I nodded at Neville's words. There was the blonde boy again - it was undoubtedly Draco. I tried to stand on my tip-toes so he would notice me, but I only ended up closer to Neville.

"It-... This isn't easy for me to say," Neville muttered.

There. I saw Draco pop out from the crowd, and he was stood behind Neville. As his hand went to reach to turn Neville's body and probably ask for a dance with me, I gave him a pleading look. He understood.

"It was me. I shouldn't have lied."