Chapter 19

The next few weeks were excruciatingly painful, but I wasn't prepared to be completely broken by a break up like the next girl.

Daphne and I were closer than ever, and I was surprised to find out that my secret had only spread to Blaise, Pansy, Daphne, Crabbe and Goyle - who were for some reason being quiet about it - and of course, him.

Draco.

I wasn't missing him as much as I had expected, but perhaps that was because he was never truly mine. He had not spoken a word or looked in my direction since that night, and I was despising Ebony more than ever.

She had almost become a bully to me, continuously making remarks about how lonely I was and how I would never find love. A worthless squib, she called me when no one else was around. I sort of respected her for that, she was keeping my secret to an extent.

Despite this, Pansy swore that Ebony was actually a good person. It was still unknown why she had such a bad reaction and instantly told Draco - if she were a good person, she wouldn't have carried out her actions without good reason, and it was my mission to find it.

My only trouble was that Daphne and Ebony didn't get along very well, and Daphne was the only friend I had that could get close to Ebony to find out why she'd told Draco instantly.

Seeing him hurt, undeniably.

I watched as he somewhat laughed with Ebony, her black hair cascading down her back as she threw herself forward to let out a hearty chuckle.

Cackles like a witch, I thought, without realising my statement's irony.

Draco didn't look happy, nor did he look unhappy. He didn't show any emotion with his expression - he was blank. A blank canvas that I would slowly build my colours back onto.

Daphne greeted me quietly, and started to speak, "I overheard one of Eb-"

"She's over there," I hissed, cutting Daphne off from announcing that we were indeed talking about the black-haired girl.

"Ah," she replied, "Anyway, I overheard one of her conversations - but I don't know who she was talking to."

"Well?" I asked, impatiently.

"She said that she only told Draco half the story and told the rest to someone else - the person she was speaking to. Say, do you mind telling me what the rest of the letter was about? Draco obviously knows about your blood status, but what else is there to know?" Daphne whispered.

"I... I told my mum that I think I've fallen in love with him," I said with desperation to be out of this situation, "Other than that, I just said how Professor Snape covers for me, in lessons he can, when I cast spells and that Draco's family are known for only being accepting of purebloods."

"And the only part of that which she wouldn't deem necessary to tell Draco is about Snape," Daphne said quickly.

"Shit," I cursed quietly, "What if she told Snape that I've been spreading it, or something, I-"

"My office, Miss Abney."

"Speak of the devil," Daphne said in a hushed tone, "What if it's-"

I quickly rose from my seat and rushed out of the room after Professor Snape.

Soon enough, we were in his office and I was receiving a lecture of sorts.

"Miss Abney," he started, "I am aware that a few rumours have been spread around your housemates, have they not?"

"Yes, Professor," I muttered.

"And they regard your blood status, as well as who is bearing the brunt of this situation!" He snapped, loudly. "I... I apologise for my irrational outburst, Miss Abney. In fact, I was not displeased when Professor Dumbledore gave me this side job. However, Miss Abney, no one was to find out about this. What happened?"

"I was writing a letter to my mother..."

"Ah. I see," Snape said, coal eyes emotionless, "Then, there is nothing we can do. You do not deserve to be punished."

"I agree, Professor," I replied, a little cheekily, "It appears that my secret is only being revealed to selected housemates."

"And who would they be?"

"Blaise Zambini, Pansy Parkinson, Ebony Hartwell, Daphne Greengrass, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, and, um... D-Draco Malfoy."

"Understood. I believe it may be acceptable to make them perform the Unbreakable Vow to keep your secret safe, as we are all known, as Slytherins, to be involved with the Dark Lord. If he finds out, your life is far from safe," Snape blurted out.

I nodded, and the oily-haired professor dismissed me.

If only it weren't for Ebony.