Chapter 10

The Next Day

I was far too happy when I didn't see Draco Malfoy in Hogsmeade. I didn't see Blaise either, which was unfortunate but Pansy, Daphne and I had a great time and I was sure I'd see him throughout the day.

It was a Sunday, a calm, snowy Sunday - it was approaching Christmas, and leaves were starting to stray from their darkened trees and the floor was continuously covered in a frosty glow.

I headed to breakfast a little late. I didn't see Daphne and I knew Pansy had said she'd skip breakfast - I had a feeling this was a ploy to get me alone with Blaise. Especially since he was sat at the Slytherin table - far away from Draco.

As I started to walk up to him, he jumped up from his seat and before I could call his name, I realised he was walking over to me.

"Evie, oh my gosh. I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have accused you of anything, not with that cheating bastard. I'm sorry, Evie," he blurted out.

I giggled a little, "I must admit, I am really hurt by both of you. But, at least I owe you an apology too. I'm sorry, Blaise."

I went in for a hug and told him that Neville had claimed it was not himself but Blaise.

"That lying git! He might just be covering up for one of his friends or himself," he told me, with a glare in his eyes. He was looking towards Neville Longbottom himself, who we saw gulp and walk out with a slice of bread.

"Do you know who Draco told?" I asked.

Blaise looked disappointed, "Yeah, I do. He told Crabbe and Goyle. I walked in and said he shouldn't told, for your sake."

"Oh my god! I completely forgot to say. It didn't actually happen."

Blaise's eyes widened, "I can't believe I didn't figure that out..."

I laughed, then Blaise chuckled along with me.

"You could always get him back by telling people it's a lie," Blaise suggested, "You could even tell Dumbledore and get him to announce it."

"You know what, Blaise?" I said with a smirk, "That's not a bad idea."

Later

"Miss Abney?" Albus Dumbledore said in confusion as I entered his room.

"Ah, hello," I replied with a little bow of my head.

"None of that will be necessary," he told me, "Please, sit down. What brings you here?"

"Well, it's nothing to do with me being a squib," I giggled, "I've been having some problems with rumours that Draco Malfoy has been spreading about me."

"Oh? What sort of rumours? I thought you two were... Close."

"Ah, well... He's been spreading rumours that we've been having rather intimate relations, which we haven't," I told him, "I'm being talked about constantly, and I was wondering if you could bring it up in a speech, perhaps?"

Dumbledore smiled, "I am happy to do so, but perhaps revenge is not always the best path to take. After all, the boy has seemed to take a liking to you-"

"I don't-"

"Trust me, Evelyn. He may not show it, but his feelings are more than what he shows on the surface," Dumbledore interrupted, "May I suggest returning to his company for an explanation and coming back to see me tomorrow if things have not changed?"

I pondered on it for a second. Throughout my school years, I hadn't known a moment when Dumbledore was wrong.

So, I decided to give Draco a second chance.

"Alright," I agreed, "Thank you for your wisdom, Professor."

"Anytime, Miss Abney. If you should have any problems in classes or generally, please do come back," he said with a nod, and then returning to his paperwork.

I left, and I decided to find Draco. I thought he'd be practicing Quidditch since, well, who doesn't do that to take out their feelings? After all, he'd said he felt guilty.

When I got to the pitch, I did see Draco. However, he wasn't playing like I expected him to be.

He was in the middle of the grass, writhing as if he was in pain. As I got closer, I heard him and saw his body shaking with sobs, and he was tugging, fisting and punching the grass as if it was someone he hated.

"I can't... I can't lose her!" He screamed.

"I wonder who you mean."

Draco turned to me in shock, his eyes full of concern and then embarrassment as he wiped his eyes. He sat up straight and pushed his soaking hair out of his face.

"How long have you been here? It hasn't rained for hours," I asked with worry.

He ignored my question and whispered so quietly that I barely heard it, "You."

I blinked at him, my face blank. Me?

"You, I was talking about you," he muttered.

"Draco, you haven't lost me. I wasn't yours to start with, remember?"

"But you don't get it, Evelyn!" He shouted, "The whole point of this, the reason I was getting so overprotective - it's because I wanted to be with you the whole time."

I couldn't say anything. I was frozen in shock.

"I... When we kissed, I always hoped that you felt something. I always..."

I finally made the decision to move forwards and hug Draco, my knees falling into the overgrown grass. Isn't there a spell to cut it?

"It's okay," I whispered.

"It's not okay. It doesn't change that you hate me. You just feel sorry for me, you think I'm a fool," Draco cried.

"No," I said. "I don't."

I smiled at Draco, and with a kiss on the cheek I told him, "I think the words you were looking for were "I like you". If that's the case, I like you too, Draco."