Chapter 9

Evelyn's POV

As I walked to the Slytherin table that morning with Daphne and Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle walked past us sniggering with sly smiles on their faces.

"What are those two plotting now?" Daphne sighed, pushing her hair back.

"Who knows," I replied, watching them walk past Draco and whisper something in his ear - and whatever they'd said made him turn as red as a tomato.

"H-hey," he said as I sat next to him - a typical thing we did to keep up appearances.

I sighed at the thought.

"Something wrong? Not happy to see me today?" Draco asked, frowning a little.

"No, no, it's not that," I told him, smiling, "I don't really know what it is."

Draco nodded and began eating his breakfast - he was only eating a pumpkin pasty this morning, which was pretty odd for him.

"Are you alright?" I questioned.

Draco shook his head a little, "I, uh, feel guilty for lying to some friends last night."

"Really? Was it a bad lie?" I asked, innocently.

"Not really," he murmured as he shoved the rest of his pasty in his mouth.

"You're not going to say what you lied about?" Daphne intersected, a disappointed look in her eyes.

"Ah, well, I may have told them that I slept with someone that I haven't," he whispered under his breath.

My eyes widened as I felt a pang of jealousy take over my body. Suddenly, I was distracted from the conversation by thinking about why people say a pang of jealousy, because it's not like a pang at all. It's more like a volcano of disappointment, sadness and anger all at once, along with many other feelings.

"Wait, someone other than Eve?" Daphne said, bringing me back to life.

"Uh-"

"How dare you!" Pansy yelled, "What if your 'friends' go off telling everyone? Evelyn will be labelled as the girl who's getting cheated on, and she'll look like a fool for staying with you!"

I looked at my plate, not hungry anymore. I sighed, and began to get up to leave.

Draco grabbed my hand and said, "No, that's not the problem. I told them it was Eve."

My body was over ridden with shock as I was both surprised at my nickname that Draco had never called me before and the fact that he would actually lie about sleeping with me.

"You did what?!" I snapped.

"I'm so-"

"No, I don't want to hear it. You just want to label me as a slut, don't you? I'm glad this was all a lie!" I shouted, pulling my hand away from his with force and leaving the Great Hall in tears.

I knew what everyone would say about me. No doubt these friends included Crabbe or Goyle, and they'd definitely tell everyone. If Blaise overheard, he might even tell people to get back at me.

It was alright for Draco, I thought as I headed back to my dorm. I really wanted to go to Hogsmeade, but I wasn't sure if a) I wanted to go anymore and b) Draco would be there.

I threw myself on my bed, another round of tears slipping down my cheeks.

And I really thought I was starting to like Draco, but he used me all along to keep up his reputation.

Pansy and Daphne didn't come back for a while. I was thankful - they probably understood that I wanted to be alone. After all, I'm pretty sure Draco would've done the same thing to Pansy.

After about an hour or two of laying there, there was a knock on the door and I didn't bother to turn around to see who it was.

For a second, my heart hoped it was Draco, then I remembered exactly what he was doing and I burst into tears again.

"It's alright, Evie," a quiet voice I recognised as Pansy's said, "Come on. Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with us? We completely understand if you don't-"

"No, I'll come," I said, turning around to face her shakily, "He certainly isn't going to get the best of me."

"Let me put some makeup on you," Pansy replied, more chirpy now.

"I mean, I know I look awful, but..."

"Come on, trust me!" She said, and with that, she'd dragged me to the bathroom counter and started putting concealer on me after getting me to wash my face.

"You've got lovely skin," she told me, "I wish mine was so clear."

I smiled at her, even though I couldn't tell if she'd be looking since I had my eyes closed. In no time, she told me to open them.

She was holding a mirror in front of me, and I grinned.

"Thanks, Pansy! It looks great," I said, and quickly pulled her into a hug.

I felt Pansy smile into my shoulder, "It's no problem. I feel so bad, Eve, I was the one assuming you'd hurt Draco. I completely forgot about what he's done to me all these years."

I nodded, and told her I didn't mind. After all, he was a waste of our time. Or anyone's, really.

Suddenly, Blaise came into my head. He knew it was all a lie, but he didn't believe it. I wonder if I could get him to forgive me.

"Daphne," I said, as we were walking to the carriages to Hogsmeade, "I don't think Blaise will forgive me."

"You never know," she laughed.

"Yeah," Pansy agreed, "He may feel sorry for you after what Draco's done, and might forgive you more easily."

I nodded at their words. I decided to try and apologise - as soon as possible.