Lunch Date

TFAWS Bucky

"See you on Monday!" You said to your co-workers over your shoulder while you high tailed out of your office. 

"Thank god." You muttered while you started your four-block trek home. 

You were relieved it was nice and sunny out since you had a garbage day at work. Rain would have been the cherry on top of a crap day so at least the skies were clear. You hurried through the streets and were looking forward to the weekend when your phone dinged telling you there was a new message. 

You fished it out of your pocket and frowned at the screen, contemplating chucking it into traffic. It was your mother reminding you of your lunch tomorrow. You quickly replied you'd be there, and she sent a thumbs up followed by a heart. 

You rolled your eyes as you shoved your phone in your pocket and hurried home.

Your mother had been on a rampage lately of trying to set you up with someone. It was exhausting. She tried setting you up with her Pilates instructors' little brother, but that was a bust. The guy was ridiculous and only talked about workout plans, healthy meals, and lifting weights. All lovely hobbies, but you felt that he wouldn't have enough time for you between meal prepping, posing in the mirrors, filming himself, and his precious gym time. The most 'work out thing' you did was walk so finding a common interest on things would have been exhausting. 

Then one of your mom's art class friends has a grandson whom she gave your number to, but that didn't work out either. He was too hung up on his ex, whom he mentioned a total of nine times before you even sat down for dinner on your first and only date with him. Your mom didn't seem to understand that you were perfectly fine living on your own, but since your older sister recently got engaged, she felt you needed to follow her. 

You thought about your sister and grumbled a little. 

Sure, you were happy for her, even if you two bicker and argue non-stop, but you were dreading all the wedding planning that was about to start. Knowing your sister bridezilla would make a speedy appearance at the most trivial things. You winced at what was to come while you weaved your way through the crowds of people.

You came to your building and walked into the lobby then immediately stopped. Your neighbour was standing in front of the wall of mailboxes and was casually leaning against them, thumbing through his mail. 

"Hi." You gave a little wave while you walked to your mailbox. 

He looked up and smiled at you. His smile was something else. 

"Hi doll." He winked at you. 

Your face flushed a little while you reached for your key and walked to your box. The one he was conveniently standing in front of. 

"Do you mind Bucky?" You pointed to the box. 

"Not really." He smirked while his bright blue eyes raked over you. 

A little shiver passed through before he took a step away. You opened the mailbox with a little wobble of your hand and found a flyer for a new pizza place a few blocks away and nothing else, thank god. You took it and jammed it in your purse while you closed and locked the box. 

"Got anything planned tonight?" He asked, while he rocked back and forth on his large black boots. 

You looked over at him and shook your head. 

"You know me Bucky. It's Friday." 

Your dating game was garbage, and you were pretty sure if this was the olden times, you'd be a certified spinster sitting firmly on the shelf, and weirdly, you were ok with it.