Neighbourhood Grinch

Bucky A/U - Grumpy Bucky that you eventually win over? Yes please!

The summer

You moved into your new home on a quiet regular suburban street. You looked around and let out a sigh while the moving company unloaded your furniture. You could see the blinds and curtains moving in a few of the houses around you, curious about the new neighbour making you chuckle to yourself. 

Hopefully your neighbours would be nice and not terrible to live by; you shuddered at the unpleasant thought.

Just as the moving company was finished, you were unpacking a few small boxes in your garage when you saw a tall blonde man walk up your driveway and wave. 

"Hello there!" he waved. 

You smiled. He was handsome. 

"Hi" 

"I'm Steve. Live right over there" he pointed to a small blue house directly across the street from yours. One of the ones where the curtains were moving in the window earlier. 

"Y/n, I live here" you waved your hand around. 

"In the garage?" Steve teased making you chuckle. 

"Funny" 

He nodded. 

"Anyways, I saw you and just wanted to come over and introduce myself. We got a good group of people on our little section of the street. Over there on my right is Sam, and on the other side of me is Natasha. You nodded. 

"Who's next to me?" you pointed to the small red house next door to you. 

"That's James. Keeps to himself. Don't let his personality get to you, he's basically the Grinch in human form" Steve chuckled. 

"The Grinch?" you looked at Steve funny. 

"Ah yeah, we kind of go a little crazy for Christmas over here when the season starts. Lights, decorations, music, judges, the whole thing." Steve added. 

"There's judges?" you asked. 

"Like I said, we go all out" Steve winked. 

"In any case, if you ever need anything, let me know. Between Sam and me, we usually have any tools you may need and are around to help with anything. We're a tight community and like to look out for each other." 

"What about James?" 

Steve looked over at the house then back to you. 

"Best to avoid him since he's not much of a joiner, keeps to himself. Doesn't like Christmas. I'll see you around Y/n" then Steve left. 

"Ok then" you muttered, going back to the box you were unpacking.

The fall

You were outside raking leaves on your front lawn when you saw Sam pull up in his pickup truck. You gave him a wave and he smiled and waved back then headed inside his house. You were glad everyone around you was nice and friendly. You looked over at the red house next door and shrugged. 

You had met everyone on the street and got to know them well except for James. He was a mystery to you. Apart from the odd hello, he wasn't really around much, but you did see him in the window the odd time, looking out at you. 

You had a BBQ party in the summer and slipped a note in his mailbox telling him he was welcome, but he never showed. He usually waited until late or early morning to cut the grass and do his yard chores, so you never really saw him much, but you knew he was around. Steve mentioned something about him working from home like you, but he wasn't sure what he did for a living.