44

I waved my free arm as I tried to keep my balance; my other arm held onto Darius.

Pt-dons dove from the sky and we ducked to avoid them as Big Eatie and Little Eatie roared. Darius and I waited until the ground stopped shaking to regroup with the others. Big Eatie and Little Eatie were still stomping their feet and roaring.

"The earthquake's over. Why are they still freaking out?" Sammy asked.

"I don't know, but they're going to hurt themselves," Ben replied.

"Come on, we have to shut down the drones and BRADs," Brooklynn said.

"I got the drones," I said, nocking in an arrow.

"Chris, we could use the drones to our advantage," Brooklynn explained. "So no shooting them."

I huffed and put the arrow back in my quiver.

"Wait, if we do shut them all down, won't this place be like Nublar all over again, where we're never not almost dying?" Yaz questioned.

"But if we leave them, that makes us a little too much like Kash or the Kons," Ben said.

"Mr. Kon," Brooklynn corrected with a glare.

Sunny yipped and nudged my shoulder with her head. I rubbed her head.

"Well, either way, I'm in for dropping them drones," Sammy said.

"You go ahead. I'll stay here," Darius said. "I use Mae's tablet to try and calm them down." He motioned to Big Eatie and Little Eatie.

"Good thinking," Brooklynn said. "Contact us through the comms when you get the tablet."

Darius nodded. "Be safe," I told him before pecking him on the lips and following the others.

We entered the compound and pushed the doors open to Kon's office.

"We're gonna go look for phones. Let us know when you get into Kash's computer," Yaz said.

"You won't find one," Brooklynn said, typing in the computer. "Kon is as smart as smart as he is evil. That's how he has Kenji fooled."

"I don't know, Brooklynn. Mr. Kon is a bad guy, but it's not like he forced Kenji to say all that stuff. About how we're not family," Sammy said.

"No, but..." Brooklynn trailed off. "Got it!" She grinned as she got into the computer.

"Knew you could do it," Sammy said.

Brooklynn quickly disabled the drones. A few minutes later, Darius contacted us on the comms.

"The Eaties are still acting weird. I'm trailing them."

"Of course you are," I responded, grinning.

"Great, add that to the list of things we don't know, like, 'what do we do now?' And 'are we already too late to stop the Kons?'" Yaz said.

Brooklynn shot Yaz a glare as she turned back to the computer.

"What? Check it out." Brooklynn then pulled up an image of Nublar. "Remember the distress beacon we sent out from Nublar? Mantah Corp received it, and Kon didn't do anything."

"If the EDB signal reached all the way here, shouldn't it work both ways?" Sammy asked.

"What do you mean?" Brooklynn asked.

"There was a drone in Nublar. That's how I sent my spy stuff to Mantah Corp," Sammy explained. "Probably didn't need to say that as excited as it sounded."

"So if it's still there, we might be able to control it from here," Yaz pointed out.

"It's worth a shot," Brooklynn said. She then started typing on the computer. "If we can search the area..." Brooklynn then got the drone online and connected to its feed.