14

We all stared in shock at the smoke that continued to rise from the trees.

"It can't be... can it?" Yaz questioned in shock.

"I'm seeing it too," Brooklynn said.

"That is most def a bonfire," Kenji said.

"People. People!" Sammy exclaimed.

"Someone got our SOS signal," Kenii said in disbelief.

"Let's go find them," Darius said, "It's time to home." We all slid down the slide and rushed towards the smoke in excitement.

"Oh, we're almost there! I can feel it!" Sammy exclaimed. We stopped as Brooklynn climbed a tree, retracing the smoke.

"We're getting closer!" Brooklynn called down before she jumped. We all continued running.

Kenji climbed the next tree and shouted, "Almost there!" We all cheered in excitement as we ran.

"Come on! We're so close!" Darius exclaimed, "Oh, it's real!"

"Guys, we're going home!" Yaz cheered. We stopped as Darius climbed the next tree. He then jumped down, a fallen expression on his face.

"The bonfire... it's gone," he said.

"What if they left?" Sammy questioned, "What if the people who came looking for us gave up and we missed our chance?"

"No," I said, shaking my head, "They would have stayed longer. Maybe they just went to bed," I said, hoping I was right.

We all gasped as we heard a dinosaur roar. We all circled up, our backs to each other and facing different directions. I cursed at myself when I realized I left my bow back at camp. I pulled out my pocket knife and waited.

"C-could it just be a really big Compy?" Kenji asked.

"You wanna go look and find out?" I asked.

"Darius, didn't you say that there were creepo skylarks?" Kenji asked, ignoring my question.

"I said they were crepuscular," Darius corrected.

The leaves rustled and a Ceratosaurus burst through the trees, causing us to scream. We ran as it chased us, expect Kenji wasn't looking where he was running and tripped and fell when he hit a tree. Sammy tripped over him and fell too. We ran back to them.

Me, Darius, and Brooklynn stood in defensive positions while Yaz stood behind us and in front of Kenji and Sammy.

"Ok, come on!" Brooklynn yelled. I adjusted my feet so I could move quickly. The Cera roared at us. "Come on tough guy!" I shouted. The Cera roared again and was about to charge, when a red flare distracted it. I was about to jump towards the Cera when someone pulled me back.

"Get down!" A man yelled as he shoved me to the ground. I was then dragged behind a fallen tree, and I think I accidentally kicked someone in the shin because I heard someone inhale in pain.

I was next to Darius as we watched the strangers shoot more flares at the Cera. We coughed and fanned the smoke away. The Cera eventually ran off, and the strangers turned towards us. It was a women and two men.

"Oh, thank goodness you're okay," the woman said.

"You are okay, aren't you?" The man with a hat asked.

"Who... who are you?" Darius asked.

"Well, after all that, maybe you should call us your salvation," the woman answered, smiling. We then all got up and started following the new people through the jungle.