40

"Kenji, you're... you're alive?" Kenji's dad stammered. He then dropped the tablet and ran to give Kenji a hug.

"No way," Darius gasped.

"Kenji's father," Brooklynn said.

I furrowed my brows. Something feels off. Sure, this WAS Kenji's dad and we should probably be safe, but something in the pit of my stomach was telling me otherwise.

"Something doesn't feel right," I muttered.

Darius gave me a confused look. "What do you mean?"

I was about to answer but Kenji's dad started talking. "I never thought I'd see you again."

"Me too," Kenji said, smiling.

"It's so nice to meet you, uh, Mr. Kon, I'm guessing? I'd shake your hand, but, uh..." Sammy trailed off as she motioned to the clankers around us.

"Of course. Have the BRADs stand down," Mr. Kon ordered.

"Are you kidding me?" Kash asked as he did so.

"Dad... what are you doing here?" Kenji asked.

"It's a long story," Mr. Kon said.

"Hey, do I know you?" Kash asked Sammy as she glared at him.

Kash then eyed my arrows in my quiver. "Hey. Your arrows were the one in the Ceratasaurus. And multiple of my BRADs."

I narrowed my eyes at him and crossed my arms. "You got a problem with that." Sunny let out a low growl. I picked her up and placed her on my shoulders.

"I thought you worked with Masrani. You run Mantah Corp now?" Kenji asked his dad.

"Yes, Kenji. A lot's changed. I took over Mantah Corp after Jurassic World went down," Mr. Kon explained.

"So, you're in charge of this island?" Darius asked.

"You're behind the dino fights?" Brooklynn asked.

"You let him keep Darius prisoner?" Yaz asked.

"You made these death robots?" Ben asked.

"And were you aware that he tried to kill me?" Mae spoke up.

"And you know about the dinosaur control chips?" I asked.

"You did what?" Mr. Kon asked as he turned to Kash.

"I did what had to be done," Kash said as he glared at us. Oh he is so calling us snitches.

"You were supposed to get things up and running. Not commit murder," Mr. Kon corrected. "Apparently, I gave you too much freedom."

"'Too much freedom?'" Kash questioned. "You mean that you were happy to sit back while I did all the hard work. You know what? Forget this. This is my island. Party time."

Kash grinned evilly has he hit a button on his tablet and the clankers eyes turned red before they started closing in on us.

"Take them out."

I grabbed my bow and notched in an arrow. I then aimed at a clanker and fired at its eye. It collapsed. Great, just leaves one thousand more.

"Execute override nine-one-six," Mr. Kon said like it was no big deal. The clankers stood down. "You didn't really think I'd give you total control, did you?"

Kash then gasped and backed away but he was blocked by a clanker. Kash then turned and ran, knocking Mae to the ground, causing her to groan in pain.

"I got this, Dad," Kenji said as he tried to chase after Kash.