chapter 32

lia's pov:
after returning home and enjoying a refreshing shower, i breathed a sigh of relief as the paint washed out of my hair effortlessly.

as the clock struck 6:00pm, a few members of the cast were expected to drop by, including auntie scarlett and auntie emma, although i wasn't sure about anyone else joining us.

while idly scrolling through tiktok, a notification popped up from the group chat, igniting a conversation about mine and hayden's recent suspensions from school due to a paint fight in art class.

addie: els and hayden, i heard you two got suspended. what happened??

jess: i heard that too.

meg: i overheard the art teacher talking about it with another teacher.

matt: yeah, i heard something too.

els: yep, i got 2 weeks, hayden's only suspended for 1. we had a paint fight in art class.

car: that's pathetic.

olive: why did you get longer than hayden?

els: because i gave the principal attitude.

em: i get the attitude part, but the paint fight? get a grip, woman.

els: i know, my mom hasn't punished me. she thinks they're being too strict.

addie: they are.

hay: school's pathetic anyway. i'm looking forward to this week off.

olive: you two are lucky.

jess: the things i'd do for 2 weeks off.

addie: me too.

meg: me three.

lizzie's pov:
i heard a gentle knock on the front door, prompting me to leave the kitchen and greet my guests, emma and scarlett.

"hey, come on in," i said, stepping aside to welcome them inside.

"thanks for having us," emma replied with a warm smile.

i called lia down, and soon we were all gathered in the living room. lia nestled beside emma, seeking her comforting embrace.

"who else is joining us tonight, lizzie?" scarlett inquired.

"just us, scar," i replied, returning her smile.

"want to help me with some snacks, scar?" i asked, breaking the silence.

"of course," scarlett replied, her smile widening.

together, we headed to the kitchen, where we quickly assembled an assortment of snacks into bowls.

lia's pov:

"so, i heard someone got suspended for two weeks," she mentioned.

"oh yeah? wonder who that was," i shrugged.

"yeah, i wonder that too. so, what did you do to get suspended for two weeks, lia?" she asked.

"well, hayden and i were in art class, and we started throwing paint at each other and goofing around. when the teacher confronted us, we laughed, and she sent us to the principal's office. i gave her attitude, and she tacked on an extra week for me, but hayden only got one," i explained.

"that's ridiculous. the school system is so messed up nowadays; it didn't use to be this bad," she remarked.

"mhm," i agreed.

"oh well, two weeks off school is like the best thing ever," she chuckled.

"good point, school sucks," i laughed.

i snuggled up to her, wrapping my arms around her, feeling safe and content in her embrace. auntie emma began running her fingers through my hair.

"i missed you," i whispered.

"i missed you too, sweetheart," she replied, gently kissing my forehead.

mom and auntie scarlett returned, balancing an assortment of snacks in their hands, the tantalizing aroma wafting through the air as they placed the bowls on the coffee table with care.

settling down beside us, auntie scarlett took her place beside me, while mom occupied the spot on the other side of her. the familiar warmth of family surrounded us, a sense of comfort and camaraderie permeating the air.

"what should we watch then, guys?" mom inquired, her eyes scanning the room for suggestions.

"vampire diaries!" emma piped up eagerly, her excitement palpable as she leaned forward in anticipation.

"is that okay with you, scar?" mom turned to auntie scarlett, seeking her approval.

auntie scarlett nodded in agreement, a smile playing at the corners of her lips as she settled back into the cushions.

turning her attention to me, mom asked, "is that okay, lia?"

i nodded in response, the prospect of watching one of our favorite shows with loved ones filling me with a sense of contentment.

with a decisive nod, mom selected an episode of vampire diaries, the familiar theme song filling the room as the opening credits rolled. we settled in for the evening, the soft glow of the television casting a warm ambiance as we lost ourselves in the captivating world of mystic falls.

as the episodes unfolded, i found myself drawn into the storyline, the twists and turns of the plot keeping me on the edge of my seat. despite the growing fatigue tugging at my eyelids, i was determined to stay awake and savor every moment of this shared experience with my family.

authors note:

word count: 796