chapter 13

as i heard the toaster pop, i rose from my seat and made my way to the kitchen. retrieving a plate, i carefully removed the toast and began buttering it.

next, i poured a glass of milk for lia and carried everything into the living room. handing her the glass, i couldn't help but smile as she returned the gesture.

sitting down beside her, i felt a sense of contentment. after lia finished her toast and drank the last of her milk, i gathered her dishes and headed back to the kitchen.

washing them clean, i placed them on the draining board to dry. as i was in the midst of drying my hands, a sudden knock echoed through the house, catching me off guard. with no one expected today, confusion enveloped me as to who could be at the door.

curiosity piqued, i made my way to the front door, cautiously turning the handle. before me stood a woman clad in a sharp ensemble: a sleek black blazer, matching trousers, and a crisp white shirt. my bewilderment only deepened at the unexpected sight.

"are you elizabeth olsen?" the woman inquired.

"yes, that's correct. and who might you be?" i responded.

"i'm emily roberts, yours and eliana's social worker," she informed me.

"ah, emily. please, do come in," i invited, gesturing towards the door with a welcoming smile.

as she entered, i greeted her warmly and closed the door behind her. guiding her into the cozy living room, where lia was already seated, i introduced them.

"emily, this is eliana," i said with a smile. "lia, meet emily, the social worker we've been expecting." lia gave a small wave, and i sat beside her on the couch while emily settled into the seat opposite us.

"alright, eliana, let's start with a few questions," emily began, turning to lia, who nodded eagerly.

"could you tell me about some things you enjoy and some you don't?" emily inquired gently.

"i love when lizzie reads to me before bed, but i really don't like it when people raise their voices," lia replied softly.

"has lizzie ever raised her voice at you?" emily asked, her tone compassionate.

"no, she's always been so kind to me," lia answered with a small smile.

"good to hear. how do you feel about the idea of being adopted?" emily continued.

"i really like it," lia said, her eyes lighting up.

"can you describe your relationship with your current parents?" emily asked, her tone understanding.

"it's not the best," lia admitted, a hint of sadness in her voice.

"do you have any questions or concerns about joining elizabeth's family?" emily asked, her voice reassuring.

lia hesitated for a moment before turning to me. "lizzie, would i be able to call you mom when i feel comfortable enough? and would your family be mine too?"

"absolutely, sweetheart. you can call me mom whenever you're ready, and my family would love to welcome you as one of our own," i said, my heart swelling with warmth.

"okay, lizzie," lia said, her smile brightening.

"alright, eliana, are you ready for the next question?" emily asked, her tone gentle. lia nodded in response.

"how do you handle challenges or difficult situations?" emily inquired.

"i try to distract myself with something positive, like reading or my puzzles," lia replied thoughtfully. "that's what i used to do at my old house."

"is there anything specific you'd like elizabeth to know about you?" emily asked, her tone empathetic.

lia shook her head. "not really."

"okay, final question. what would make you feel safe and loved in elizabeth's home?" emily asked, her gaze kind.

"i just want things to stay the same. i feel safe here with lizzie, and i don't want that to change," lia said, her voice filled with sincerity.

emily nodded understandingly, taking note of lia's words. the room was filled with a sense of hope and possibility as lia's journey toward a new family began.

"alright, elizabeth, i have questions for you now," she told me. i nodded in response.

"can you tell me about your reasons for wanting to adopt?" she asked.

"well, when i found lia in the forest that day, i could see she was hurt and needed a loving parent. lia warmed up to me quickly, and i cared for her as if she were my own. scarlett loves her too," i responded.

"who's scarlett?" she questioned.

"oh, she's my friend," i told her.

"eliana, what do you think of scarlett?" she asked, turning to lia.

"she's nice. i like her," lia said, smiling.

"alright, elizabeth, what experience do you have with children?" she asked, turning her attention back to me.

"i've looked after scarlett's kids a couple of times, as well as my sister ashley's child, and i've also cared for my friends twins," i explained.

"and who's your friend?" she asked me

"oh um chris hemsworth," i informed her

after answering a few more questions, emily expressed her desire to look around the house. after her inspection, she informed us that she would be in touch soon, and then she left.

authors note:

everything is made up, i'm clueless with all of that stuff so apologies.

word count: 872