chapter 21

today, being wednesday, marked auntie scarlett's scheduled visit, offering a welcome distraction for mom while robbie and i embarked on our adventure, although the exact plan remained a mystery to me.

at around 9:00am, anticipation filled the air as we awaited auntie scarlett and robbie's arrival. hearing a knock at the door, i hurried downstairs, greeted by robbie's arrival.

although auntie scarlett hadn't arrived yet, her punctuality was unquestionable. sure enough, her car pulled up shortly afterward.

spotting her approach, i couldn't contain my joy, rushing past robbie to envelop her in a tight hug. despite seeing her just two days prior, her absence had left a noticeable void.

"hello, bug," she greeted warmly, her presence bringing an immediate smile to my face.

amidst laughter and chatter, auntie scarlett carried me inside, with robbie following closely behind.

in the kitchen, we found mom absorbed in a book at the countertop. auntie scarlett wasted no time in announcing their plans for the day—a shopping trip for clothes.

"that sounds wonderful," mom chimed in, already mentally preparing for the outing.

i hesitated for a moment before speaking up, "actually, mom, i'll be staying behind. robbie and i are heading to the park." though simple, it was the explanation i settled on, though uncertainty lingered in the air.

"okay honey, that's fine," she smiled.

after a while, robbie and i left, and he kindly let me sit in the front seat. securing my seatbelt, robbie assumed the driver's seat.

"where are we going then?" i inquired.

"to the beach. i have this whole thing planned with some petals and a little carpet for her to walk down, along with a banner asking her to be my girlfriend. do you think it's too much?" robbie pondered.

"i don't know, i'm only three. i don't know much about this stuff," i shrugged.

"yeah, you're right," he sighed.

after a few more minutes, we arrived at the beach, which was practically deserted. robbie retrieved the items from the car boot and carried them.

i trailed behind as we ventured further down the beach, where robbie set everything down on the sand. it dawned on me that he had nowhere to hang the banner, but i decided to keep that observation to myself, at least for now.

perhaps he'll figure something out, like tying it between two poles, but i wasn't entirely sure if he'd consider that option.

robbie had started to roll the carpet out. it was a bit like a red carpet thing but not exactly the same. once he laid out the carpet, he began spreading the petals over it. then, he retrieved the banner, looking confused as to where he would put it.

his confusion never failed to amuse me. he could be a bit dim sometimes, but he was a great guy, and that meant something. i wasn't entirely sure i could trust him, especially not so quickly, but i had.

i noticed him eyeing the two poles, lost in thought. of course, i couldn't read minds, but then he made his way over to them and tied the banner strings around them.

i genuinely thought it would have taken him much longer to figure that out, but he surprised me. once he finished everything, he came over and sat down beside me.

scarlett's pov:
robbie and lia had just left, and i was planning on distracting lizzie while they set up at the beach. it shouldn't take too long for them to get everything ready.