24: France to Korea

Long chapter

Liliana's POV

"Is that all it takes to make you happy?" He sneers down at me, his smirk twisting with satisfaction.

"WHAT ARE YOU-" I shoot a quick glance at the driver, who's keeping a wary eye on us. Lowering my voice, I demand, "What are you doing here?"

"Taking the bus," he retorts, crossing his arms as he settles into the seat beside me.

I stare at him incredulously.

"What? Can't I take the bus anymore?" His voice wavers slightly as he nervously avoids my gaze.

"Who are you trying to fool? Since when did the leader of the biggest fourth-generation K-pop group resort to public transportation? You have a freaking car," I retort with a mixture of disbelief and annoyance.

"I just felt like taking the bus today," he offers weakly.

I groan in frustration. "Then why is the bus unusually empty?"

"I... I don't know," he stammers, still refusing to meet my eyes.

"Sure about that?" I press, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

"Positive," he insists, nodding a little too vigorously.

I roll my eyes. "Let me guess, you paid for everything I enjoyed this morning."

"Yep," he admits simply.

"And you also paid for this bus ride because I've noticed we haven't stopped at any other bus stops since I got on," I gesture towards the empty bus around us.

"That's true," he confesses, unable to maintain the charade any longer.

"Why?" I demand, confusion etched on my face.

"To get you to apologize to me," he declares, pointing accusingly at himself.

"Apologize to you? For what?" I ask, completely bewildered by his request.

"For slapping me," he retorts with an angry expression.

"Wait, wait," I raise my hand to stop him. "You've been tormenting me for days, and you want an apology for one slap? I ended up in a clinic because of you. You must be out of your damn mind if you think I'll ever apologize to you."

"You will. It's quite simple. I've showered you with gifts, so just make an official statement on the group chat apologizing, and we can call it even," he explains, his tone dripping with entitlement.

"No. I refuse to comply. That goes against everything I'm trying to prove," I declare, my voice firm and resolute.

"And what exactly are you trying to prove?" Chan challenges, his tone laced with arrogance.

"I'm trying to prove that people like you, who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want, can also be stopped," I assert boldly. "I'm going to clip those wings you use to soar, and I'll use them to wrap myself in a blanket of justice. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm getting off this bus."

Before I can move, Chan's hand shoots out to stop me. "No, sit down and do as I say," he commands.

I struggle to push his arm away. "Open the door!" I yell at the driver.

"Do not open anything until I say so," Chan orders the driver, who obediently complies with a curt, "Yes, sir."

"This is ridiculous!" I exclaim, pausing for a moment to gather my thoughts. "You could have tortured me and demanded an apology, but instead, you showered me with gifts. You're feeling guilty, aren't you?"