9. Awkward silence

Mariah

Mariah

Luana remains in the living room watching TV. Eliška received a call from the JYPE personnel that helped her move to Korea, telling her to meet at the company.

She left a few minutes after. It remains only Mariah and I in the kitchen. The kitchen just beside the living room with a counter separating the rooms.

Mariah places the groceries into various parts of the kitchen. I silently watch her as she goes on with her task. I pull out my phone and see a few messages from family members. I make a mental note to reply to them after dinner.

Min-su enters the kitchen. She has changed into some black shorts with a blue hoodie.

"What are you cooking for dinner?" Mariah asks

"Korean beef bowl served with rice. Nothing fancy. Just to introduce you guys to Korean food" she faces Mariah like as if I'm not in the room.

"Alright" Mariah washes her hands " I'm going to take a shower. Liliana, help her prepare dinner"

As she passes by me to leave she whispers " talk to her"

"I don't know how to-"

"Do it" she whisper yells and runs away.

I groan inwardly. I spend the next few minutes awkwardly standing by the counter. Min-su continues to behave like I'm not standing there.

"Um... excuse me?" I finally gather some courage

"Yes?what is it?" She holds up the knife she's using to chop vegetables

"Don't you need help?"

"As you can see I don't. " she continues to chop.

I silently walk to the living room. With a heavy heart I sit beside Luana.

"Still nothing?" She faces me

"Yep" I close my eyes trying to clear my thoughts.

Why is she being so cold.

"Don't try too much to be close to her. If she's not making any effort don't bother. I met her this morning. She just mumbled a small hi then walked away. She might have issues with socialising. "

"Maybe" I continue watching TV

-

Mariah returns from the bathroom in a short loose off-white dress. She sits beside me.

"What's up?"

I simply shake my head at her.

"Yikes! I wonder why she's like that with you. She was quite talkative with me yesterday"

"Mood swings maybe" Luana guesses

"Don't worry about her. I'm sure in no time she'll open up"

"Yeah" I simply reply.