18. Promise

This chapter is dedicated to TaraKim970 for all the kind words concerning this book.

Flashback to after Liliana leaves Twice's lounge

Liliana's POV

"Yes, I have lessons until 4 pm," I reply to my mom on the phone, the weight of the day's events evident in my voice. "Okay, I'll talk to you later, bye."

As I navigate the bustling hallway, a group of trainees catches my eye, their hushed conversation and furtive glances in my direction sparking a familiar sense of unease.

"Dumbasses," I mutter under my breath, frustration bubbling to the surface at their obvious gossiping.

"Hey!" I call out, my voice slicing through the chatter. "Why don't you say that to my face?"

The trainees quickly scatter, confirming my suspicions with their hurried retreat.

"Thought so," I scoff, shaking my head at their cowardice.

Continuing down the hallway, my gaze lingers on the door leading to the rooftop. An overwhelming urge to escape the suffocating atmosphere below washes over me.

"You know what? I'm gonna go up there and let off some steam," I decide impulsively.

Reaching the rooftop, I grip the cold metal railing, the city skyline stretching out before me. "They've all gone crazy!!!" I scream into the void, the words torn from my chest by a whirlwind of emotions.

"You know..." A sudden voice shatters the solitude.

Turning, I find Hyunjin leaning casually against the outer wall, his presence both unexpected and unsettling. Dressed in a sky blue Versace tracksuit, his striking blonde hair dances in the wind, a stark contrast to the turmoil brewing within me.

"This place used to be quiet until your recent visits," he remarks, his tone laced with curiosity as he observes me with a raised eyebrow.

Suppressing a surge of panic, I force myself to meet his gaze. "Why are you here?" he inquires, his piercing eyes searching for answers.

Ignoring his question, I move to leave, but Hyunjin's firm grip on my hand halts me in my tracks.

"Hey!" I protest, but his hand covers my mouth, muffling my words as he pulls me behind the wall hiding me from the entrance. He then nonchalantly checks his phone.

As the door creaks open, Hyunjin looks up.

"Ah, Hyunjin oppa, have you seen any black girl come up here?" a feminine voice floats through the air, sending a shiver down my spine.

"No," Hyunjin replies without hesitation, his composure unwavering as he deflects their inquiries.

"Ah okay" I hear multiple footsteps fade into the distance.

Hyunjin puts his phone in his pocket, his gaze meeting mine with a hint of amusement.

"Um, thank you," I stammer, my gratitude tinged with uncertainty.

"You're welcome," he nods, his features softening slightly as he acknowledges my presence. "You're Liliana."

"Yes," I murmur, offering a tentative bow. "Thank you once again."

"Stay here," Hyunjin instructs, his voice carrying a note of authority that brooks no argument.

"Why?" I question, my curiosity piqued by his unexpected request.

"They won't stop searching until they find you," he explains, his gaze lingering on mine with a mixture of sympathy and resolve.

"Oh," is all I can manage, the weight of his words sinking in as I watch him retrieve his sweater from the corner of the rooftop.