19: Jealous

Liliana's POV

As I swing the door open to the apartment, a familiar scene greets me: Eliška, Chloe, and Luana nestled on the couch, their attention fixated on the TV screen.

"Congratulations on surviving," Luana quips, her gaze still locked on the unfolding drama onscreen.

Eliška rushes over, concern etched on her features. "Oh my goodness!" she exclaims, gently cradling my face in her hands. "You look like you've been through the wringer."

"It wasn't exactly a walk in the park," I reply, attempting to pry her hands away gently.

My braids hang limply from a barely holding claw clip, my top is crumpled and missing a button, and my makeup, though hastily touched up in the taxi ride home, is still smudged. Despite the lack of rain, I'm oddly damp, evidence of the day's ordeal.

Eliška surveys my disheveled appearance with a sympathetic eye, while Chloe tentatively approaches.

"How are you holding up? I heard them looking all over for you," Chloe inquires.

"I'll live. It could've been worse if it weren't for Hyunjin stepping in," I reply.

"Hyunjin?" Chloe's eyes widen in surprise, while Eliška's hands pause their ministrations on my face.

"He intervened? But isn't he part of the group?" Eliška questions.

Luana swivels on the couch to join the conversation. "I've always said he's different. Never seen him resort to violence or raise his voice before."

"Well, today he did...to defend me from those thugs," I inform them.

"Was he intimidating?" Chloe asks.

"More like...hot," I admit with a playful smirk.

"Ay!" Luana interjects. "Even in distress, you manage to appreciate his looks." She points a teasing finger at me. "I like that. You know your priorities."

Eliška rolls her eyes. "Enough banter. Liliana, go shower and change.

"But really, what gives them the right to treat a woman like this?" Chloe says, her tone tinged with annoyance.

"There's no need to be angry over nothing. I'll go clean up first. I'll be back."

I exit the room and head to the hallway where our rooms are located. Glancing at Mariah's door, I assume she's inside.

Our closeness has waned lately. I've been spending more time with Hana. Knocking on Mariah's door, I hear a faint "come in."

"Hi," I shyly greet upon entering her room.

"Oh, it's you," her eyes return to her book. She's seated by the reading table with books, an iPad, and a phone. "I'm glad you remembered I exist."

I hug her from behind. "I didn't forget you. There's been a lot on my mind lately, not much time to be around people."

"That's not a good enough excuse. You still hang out with Twice, Itzy, and that fake-looking girl."

She clearly dislikes Hana.

"Are you jealous of Hana?" I poke her cheek as she struggles to focus on the song's line distribution we're to perform in front of management. "I know she's gorgeous, but you're gorgeous too."

"I'm not jealous of her looks. I just think she looks fake, like plastic surgery is what's holding her together," Mariah mutters bitterly.

"Hey! That's offensive and rude. She hasn't undergone plastic surgery. She's just naturally beautiful. You shouldn't speak about your fellow women like that," I reprimand her.