14. Eye contact

"Liliana, quit brooding!" Luana's voice echoes through the living room window.

Chloe's out there mowing the lawn, and I'm trimming plants up front. Luana's watching our activities from inside.

Her sudden shout startles me, and the shears slip from my grip, clattering to the ground.

"You've got to stop with the random yelling, Luana," I warn, retrieving my gardening tools.

"You seemed so out of it," she notes.

"How so?" I keep trimming.

"You were just staring at the plant with a pout, frozen in place," she leans on her hand.

"Thanks for the observation," I manage a strained smile.

"What's got you looking so lost?" she asks, concerned. "Is it the assessment? You're a fantastic artist. You'll do—"

"It's not about that!" I abandon gardening, turning to Chloe, who's lost in her headset world.

"Then what is it? Mariah's worried too," Luana presses.

"Look, I'm fine," I walk past her into the house and head to my room..

Lying on my bed, I let my gaze drift across the stickers and lights adorning my ceiling. A few minutes pass before a gentle knock interrupts the quiet.

"Who is it?"

"It's Eliška," her voice carries a cheerful note.

"Come in."

Eliška enters, but an air of silence surrounds her.

"Yeah?"

"Are you alright?" Eliška cautiously inches closer, as if expecting me to spring up and attack her at any moment.

"I'm okay. I told Luana that."

"She's not convinced," I notice her fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

Finally meeting her gaze, I see Eliška standing there, a mixture of awkwardness and concern on her face.

"Are you?"

"I don't know." She takes a seat beside me on the bed. "Are you stressed? You didn't even eat lunch with us."

"Is this all because I refused to follow the schedule to the letter? That's not what's bothering me. The training program is hectic, yes, but I can handle it."

"Okay. I'm glad to hear that."

As a thoughtful silence lingers, I catch Eliška glancing around my room.

"I love the fairy lights. The colors a—"

"I witnessed the red card yesterday," I finally blurt out.

"What? The F4 red card? What went down?" She shifts in her seat, turning to face me, curiosity etched on her expression.

"Some kid, not a new trainee though. He was planning to expose the red card to the whole world, but F4 found out," I remain on my back, facing the ceiling.

"How?" She looks genuinely shocked.

"I don't know. They messed him up real bad, Ellie," I close my eyes in sorrow. "He might spend a couple of months in the hospital."

"This is crazy. The perfect idols are actual devils."

"I wouldn't say all F4 are devils. Mostly Chan. IN doesn't do much except seem amused by the whole thing. Lee Know is the one with connections to all Intel. Hyunjin, though..."

I recall his irritated face yesterday and how he stormed out. Our brief eye contact. In the crowded room, our eyes met, creating an intimate bubble that transcended the surrounding chaos. Time slowed, and for that brief moment, it felt like it was just us, suspended in a shared understanding that words couldn't capture. Shivers run through my body. Damn, he's attractive.