┃50┃

Fei was disheartened

Fei was disheartened. It's been four weeks since her husband's not been home. He only telephones her at night, to make sure if she'd her meal. 

And he never speaks to her much. 

It's only the usual, the questions he always asks. How was her day? Skipped any meals? And if she did, she can look forward to the talk they'll have after that. 

“Good girl, do you miss me?” He'd ask and her reply to it, as always would be the same, plain and simple.

“..yes.”

—A lot. 

Her doe-eyes were lowered. Lost in a thought, she was gazing down at her jade bangles. With a blank look on her face, she slowly took them off her wrists, her movements were gentle and unhurried.

After taking them off, she took off her pearl earrings followed by her necklace. Her translucent pale skin shone under the lamp's dim light while a shadow was casting just beneath her eyes due to her long droopy lashes. 

Sullen, the little wife appeared in front of the mirror while she sat on the vanity table.

She dresses herself for him everyday with the thought that he might come any moment but she's been hoping for too much lately.

Fei was aware that she was no longer a sensible and understanding wife to her husband, she's become a lot more selfish and demanding.

She was afraid of her growing selfishness but couldn't help getting emotional whenever things involved her husband. 

Her droopy lashes quivered and she lifted them up, gazing at herself in the mirror, thinking to herself as she became overwhelmed with unwanted assumptions.

Was she no longer desirable?
Now that he’d had her, has he become bored of her? 

Work must be just an excuse, after all.
Is he lying to her?

Men are like that, aren't they?
They get their hearts swayed easily by women.

There must be many women outside, what if any of them catches his eyes? 

Taking a sharp breath, Fei grimaced at the thought with pursed lips. She’ll gouge his eyes if that turns out to be the case. 

Huffing and puffing, she stood up from the seat and paced around the room in anger for a moment before leaning against the wall in exhaustion.

No, she mustn't let these wild assumptions get the best of her. What if he's actually busy and doesn't even get the time to have proper meals? 

He’d make sure of her well being everyday but was he even taking care of himself? Just thinking about it made Fei’s sensitive heart churn in pain for her husband.

...

Meanwhile, Yang was listening to the report his aide was giving him. His chin was propped on his knuckles as he intently focused on the issues in hand. 

“They'd like to meet you, master.” 

The Sheng family has never been on bad terms with the Liang family. It was strange how things are getting quite dirtier between them these days. 

“Arrange a meeting,” Yang ordered and closed his eyes for a moment. There were visible signs of exhaustion in his tense body and the seriousness his aura was emitting was extremely overbearing for the people around him.

The aide gave a respectful nod before leaving the meeting room in long and urgent strides. 

...

“I want you to repeat yourself.” His charming low voice teased her ear. In fear, she slightly shrunk her neck before playing with her hair to gain back her boldness.

“It must be true then,” she mumbled in her soft and angelic voice. Her words fell into the man’s ears, making him raise his eyebrows as he gazed at the moon with his deep eyes filled with immense longing for his woman.

His tense back leaned against the chair for a bit of relaxation while he talked to her on the telephone. 

“..so this is what you really think of me, hm? That I'm a scum who might be having a secret rendezvous with a woman outside when I've a wife at home.” He asked, sounding stern and cold with a slight quirk in the corner of his lips. 

Actually, it was quite enjoyable, this conversation.

Yang for the first time in his life was experiencing how it feels to be doubted by a spouse in a marriage. 

It was a new experience for him. 
Instead of being mad, he was enjoying it.

After all, it was rare when an extremely beautiful woman such as his wife felt insecure about herself. With her beauty, it only makes sense for her to be prideful and imperious.

However, his dear wife lacks such characteristics which always makes him wonder how pure one can actually be?

Yang suddenly felt so soft that he almost let out a flustered groan when a crawling sensation made his legs tingly and weak. 

He lifted his hand to cover his face and slightly shook his head before clearing his throat in embarrassment.

Right now, he was strongly craving it. 

“I miss you,” he muttered loud enough for her to hear. However, the response he got to his heartfelt words was not what he wanted in return.

“Oh.” Fei mischievously quipped as if it meant nothing to her. If he really misses her like he said, he wouldn't just be calling her through a telephone. 

Just words and sweet lies, he was good at feeding her those.

Oh?

“...” Speechless, Yang frowned. All the weakening sensation left his body instantly. Feeling annoyed, he threatened. “Are you itching for a beating?”

Fei bit back her lovely grin, silently giggling as she felt good after ticking off her husband’s patience. Her foot popped in the air in delight and she shyly bit on her index finger to not produce any laugh.

Annoyed Yang, for Fei, was much more attractive than his usual self. It was refreshing whenever he reacted like that, which was rare because of how mature and patient he always was while dealing with her.

In the end, Yang cooled down his temperament, going back to being patient and loving to his wife. “Do you not miss me?”

“Will it make any difference if I did?” Fei retorted indignantly. Realizing that her tone of speaking sounded more like a tantrum, she quickly covered her mouth while waiting for his scolding. 

“I'm not going to ask you again.” She heard him speak calmly. Although his voice sounded just like before, a chill ran down Fei's spine and her voice cracked when she obediently responded. 

“Y-Yes.”

Beep! Beep! 

The line was cut off. Fei’s eyes widened and cheeks reddened as she realized something. 

He was coming. 

...