Chapter 20

Luca

"Fuck!" I grunted out in frustration after ending the call with my father.

Frankie's concerned voice snapped me out of my fury. "That didn't sound good."

"It wasn't. My Father is on his way with Giuseppe Conti," I replied through clenched teeth. "They'll be here in a couple of hours."

"Okay, what's the problem?" Frankie quirked his brow.

"The problem is Giuseppe's daughter is coming with them," I seethed, feeling incredibly frustrated. I didn't need this complication right now.

Frankie still looked confused. "Rubbing my temples, I sighed. "Come on, Frankie, you can't be that dense."

He scowled at me, then realization dawned on him. "Oh, you mean Lucia?"

"Yes," I gritted, my jaw clenching hard. "I need a f**king drink." Without offering one to Frankie, I made my way to the bar in my office and poured myself a whiskey. I knocked it back and poured another.

This was a headache I didn't need at the moment. I was already preoccupied with what happened in Miami. Someone had gotten to José; he was found dead in his cell with his head almost decapitated.

We still couldn't find the prick Miguel. It seemed like he had gone into hiding after being tipped off that we were looking for him, like a snaky little coward. I didn't know who was behind it, though I had my suspicions. But I couldn't jump to conclusions just yet. I needed to do something to make them slip up, to get them riled up. Hopefully, then they'd make a mistake, and I'd know for certain who it was.

To add insult to injury, news reached the Mexican cartel that I was supposedly behind the hit on their "politician." It became evident that the same person who tipped off Miguel was also the one who informed Ricardo Ramírez, likely aiming to instigate a war between me and the Mexicans. Ricardo was the top dog, the leader of the entire Mexican Cartel.

Fortunately, I had a history with Ricardo, or rather, my father did. They had conducted business together back when my father was in charge. When Ricardo called my father to inquire about the alleged hit, my father was livid. Not at me, but at the situation. He assured Ricardo that there was no way I would do such a thing without a valid reason, especially considering we had no beef with each other. He insisted it must have been a mistake, and Ricardo, skeptical from the start, agreed.

Ricardo even dispatched his son, who oversaw operations in Miami, to investigate José's situation in prison. However, by the time he arrived, José was already deceased. I hadn't been aware that Ricardo had a son, which explained why I had never crossed paths with him. According to my father, Ricardo only discovered he had a son when the boy was 17 years old.

It turned out Ricardo had a complicated history. He had been involved with one of his maids, leading to a tumultuous situation with his wife. To protect the maid, Ricardo sent her away to America with some cash and instructed her to never contact him again. However, fate had other plans. Seventeen years later, they unexpectedly crossed paths at a gala. By then, Ricardo had divorced his wife and rekindled his relationship with the former maid, leading to the revelation that they had a son together.

Named Adán, he was offered the opportunity to take over the Cartel in Mexico, but he opted to remain in Miami. Ricardo respected his decision and allowed him to establish his own cartel there.

Now, they were on their way to LA to meet with me, with the intention of uncovering who was targeting us and attempting to spark a war between our factions.

As for my father's decision to bring Giuseppe and his daughter along, I knew what they wanted,but they could fucking think again, as  I had no intention of going along with it.