Chapter 9

Luca

"Right this way, Mr. Cattaneo," the host guided me towards the private room. Inside, I found the boss's of both the Costello's and Romano's mafia, accompanied by their trusted men from the east side , New York to be exact. The Costello's represented the upper east of New York, while the Romano's hailed from the lower east side. Together, they practically controlled all of Manhattan, as well as other parts of New York.

Initially, they were enemies, engaged in a long-standing war. However, everything changed when Anthony Costello's daughter married Matteo Romano, the son of Stefano Romano. At first, the union was not agreed upon by both families. Matteo had even kidnapped Anthony's daughter, intending to harm her as revenge for the Costello's killing his uncle and trusted advisor. However, it was later revealed that Matteo couldn't resist the Irish beauty's charms. She was an innocent and pure soul, shielded by her father from the mafia's influence. But alas fate had other plans."

It also turned out that the Costello's didn't kill Matteo's uncle, it had been someone from his own family, they had set the Costello's up, 'but that's not my story to tell.

In a way, Matteo's wife reminded me of Sienna, pure and innocent, although Sienna now is a lot feistier. I wonder what she was doing. I hadn't texted her again after the charity event, it wasn't intentional, but business kept getting in the way, so I didn't have the time, it was probably best to let her cool off anyway after what happened at the charity event. Her text giving me the middle finger had made me chuckle. It also made me retaliate asking her if that was her way of telling me she wanted more..

I had found out the boutique from where she got her dress, so I bought it since Sienna had only been renting it. I had told Carlos to inform the owner that she could get whatever else she wanted. I hadn't expected the owner to call me yesterday to say that Sienna was picking out a dress. I told her to add in some shoes and a bag to go with it. I'm hoping she can wear it for me.

Shaking the thoughts of her out of my head, I'm greeted by both Anthony and Matteo as I enter the room. Carlos and Frankie follow behind.

"Ah, Luca! Long time no see," Anthony says as he shakes my hand. He's a buff man in his fifties, a few inches smaller than me, but he looks in good shape.

Matteo stands up and pulls me into a hug. We are similar in height and build, and he is about two years older than me.My father and his had been long time friends and business partners. So Matteo and I knew each other really well.

"È bello rivederti, fratello." (It's good to see you again, brother.)

"Sì, è bello rivederti anche per me, è passato un po' di tempo." (It's good to see you too, it's been a while.) " I reply.

Lads leave it out, Anthony voices, I can't understand a word of that Italian conversation. I chortle, " did they not teach you how to speak Italiano, ' no ?

He shakes his head, saying that Aoibhe (Ava) tried to teach him, but he couldn't be bothered to learn another language. He grunts, adding that he does know when she's cursing at him in Italian. He throws a scowl at Matteo, who just chuckles and shrugs.

Anyway, let's get down to business and then we can eat and drink afterward he says, That's why I like these men, they work and think like me, prioritizing business first and pleasure later. That's how things run smoothly.

After discussing business for an hour, we call the waitress to bring us some menus for food and wine. We eat, and then we order a couple bottles of the restaurant's finest Irish whiskey, per Anthony's request, of course. I don't object, as I do enjoy a glass of whiskey and the Irish know how to make a good whiskey.