Chapter 3

Luca

Heading into my office building, Stella, my PA, is right on cue, following closely behind my steps. She's a petite lady in her 50s, but she looks far younger than her age. Stella happens to be a friend of my mother and she was in need of a job to escape the confines of her house. I, on the other hand, needed a PA who was dedicated to her work and wouldn't distract me with inappropriate behavior or provocative outfits . Thankfully, Stella proved to be a true professional. She never missed a single work day in her entire life and always exhibited meticulousness in all her tasks. Plus she makes exceptionally good coffee.

You've got a meeting with Mr. Michaels at 10.30 this morning, and then another one with Mr. Fitzgerald at 1.00, over at Florence Bistro on 6th Ave," she says as we ride the elevator to my office. I keep my face straight and nod, asking, "Anything else?"

Just one more thing – Trevor's been bugging me to set up a meeting with you. He wants to talk about the finances for the new extension of the children's hospital's outpatient wards.Trevor's the guy who runs the show when I'm not around." You could call him the COO of Cattaneo corporation..

"Anything else?" I ask. "Nope, oh wait, Jimmy Garcia, your lawyer, called. He said to give him a buzz when you can." I reply with a simple "Okay."

"You look pretty stressed, sir," she observes as I settle into my desk chair. "Everything alright?" I rub the tension between my brows, looking up. "Just tired. Had a hectic weekend, that's all." She offers a reassuring smile and quips, "Well then, I'll whip you up a coffee." As she leaves, she closes the door behind her.

'I was stressed. The weekend was a mess. I had one of my men arrested for drugs. He was a bartender at my club; he also did a little side hustle for me. But no one else knew that except my men. It turned out that one of the waitresses was an undercover cop. She had planted drugs behind the bar and then claimed he was spiking women's drinks as he made them. Commissioner Murphy was having a field day. He was only too delighted to try to catch me out on something, and having someone sell drugs from the club would enable him to get a search warrant.

I'm certainly not that naive. Spiking women's drinks is an absolute no-go in my book. All my men are well aware of this, and if any of them were caught doing such a thing, they'd be in for a world of hurt. They'd never be able to so much as take a piss normally, let alone think about getting an erection ever again.

I know there are some cartels involved in that sickening stuff - spiking drinks, abducting women, and trafficking them. But that's not our game. Of course , I'm involved in some illegal dealings, but I also have my fingers in plenty of legitimate businesses.

"To save face, you see, that's my game. Thats why I'm the best .While most mafias stick to the usual small businesses like restaurants, bars, or strip clubs,. Sure, I've got my share of those small businesses, but I'm also into smarter stuff like property development, diving into big projects, such as that children's hospital among other things. Plus, I've got a soft spot for charity; it's why I'm always on the A-list for those major charity events. And this is why I'm untouchable, and why Commissioner Murphy is stooping to such lousy tactics to try and take me down."

Fortunate for us, and quite unfortunate for him, I had cameras strategically placed from every angle, especially around the club and bar areas. This wasn't the first time someone attempted to set us up.

The absurd part? The bitch was caught red-handed on camera while planting the drugs. We had to make our way down to the station to present the evidence. Let's just say the commissioner wasn't exactly thrilled about that. I couldn't help but offer a mocking smile  as he stormed out in a huff. As for the female officer, she was practically trembling when she laid eyes on me. I gave her a stern warning, letting her know she'd better request a transfer and get the fuck out of this city. Making it clear that if I ever laid eyes on her again, she wouldn't be leaving by foot, but rather in a body bag.