Chapter 19

Sienna:

I stepped into the cafe down the street from the gym, my stomach grumbling loudly. The barista chuckled at the sound, but luckily, there weren't many customers around—just two students in the back and an older lady in the middle, all seemingly absorbed in their own affairs. Still, I couldn't help but feel a blush creeping up my cheeks under the cute barista's amused gaze as he waited for my order.

"Um, sorry," I stammered, "can I get an açai bowl and a cappuccino with oat milk, please? And... an almond croissant?" I bit my lip, feeling even more embarrassed as I added the extra item to my order.

"Hungry?" the barista quirked an eyebrow, his tone tinged with humor. "Well, I did hear your stomach growling," he added with a grin.

I chuckled nervously, feeling the need to explain myself. "Yeah, I just came from the gym and didn't have breakfast, so..." I trailed off, mentally berating myself for feeling the need to justify my hunger.

He winked and gestured for me to take a seat, assuring me he'd bring my order over shortly. "Okay, thanks," I replied, making my way to a table tucked into the corner beside the expansive window. Settling into my seat, I pulled out my phone and began scrolling through my messages and emails.

Among them was one from my mom, scolding me for not answering her calls and demanding I grow up. I rolled my eyes, opting to ignore her. Last week, she left me a voicemail announcing her upcoming marriage. The news infuriated me beyond words.

I felt compelled to call my dad to confirm if it was true. If I had contacted my mom, I would have unleashed my anger for hurting my dad the way she did. I always harbored a hope that they would reconcile, but she shattered it by marrying that douchebag. Yes, I know my reaction is immature, but I couldn't care less. She broke my dad's heart after they both lost my brother. She never considered my dad's feelings when she chose to have an affair, claiming the other guy understood her pain.

As if my dad wasn't enduring the same agony... "Fuck off," I muttered under my breath, yearning to type it out to my mom.

"Oh so you don't want your order?" the cute barista interrupted my thoughts with a teasing tone, pretending to retract my cappuccino and food. "Oh, sorry, no," I quickly backtracked, feeling my cheeks flush with embarrassment. I wasn't saying that to you.

He chuckled, revealing a charming dimple on his right cheek. "I'm joking," he said giving me lopsided smile, placing everything down on my table. "Thank you," I responded gratefully.

"No problem, beautiful," he replied, flashing another captivating smile. "So, who pissed you off?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

"Eh It's nothing, just mother issues," I sighed laughing a little.

"Mothers, huh? I hear you," he sympathised. "Mine can be a real pain in my ass too, which is why I moved to LA to get away from her," he added, his tone dancing with humor.

"Yeah, me too," I laughed in agreement.

"Oh yeah? Where'd you move from?" he inquired, taking a seat across from me. My eyes widened slightly, taken aback by his forthrightness.

He noticed my reaction and quickly apologised, "Sorry, I didn't mean to be so forward. I'm just curious. I don't mean to pry." He began to get up, but I stopped him, assuring him it was okay.

I shared where I was from, and he told me he moved from Philadelphia, studying to be an actor. We chatted for a few minutes, getting to know each other, before he excused himself to return to work.

"I'll leave you in peace now," he said, taking my cappuccino with him. I frowned slightly, wondering why he was taking away my coffee.

"I'll get you a fresh one," he assured me, noticing it had gone cold. I smiled and thanked him as he winked and went behind the counter to attend to other customers.