45. Evasive Action (Pt. 1)

Contemplating sides

[Ben POV]

"Forty-seven... Forty-eight... Forty-nine..." Yasmina pants as she nears her fiftieth sit-up.

I glumly sharpen a spare dinosaur bone I'd found on the floor.

"He left us." Brooklyn suddenly says, and her emerald eyes turn glossy

Everyone's faces fall, and we stop whatever we're doing for a somber moment.

"I can't believe he just left us." Brooklyn says again, her voice wobbling. She buries her head into her arms.

Y/N crawls over to her and leans on her tiredly, and I see a small tear fall on the floor by her side.

Seeing Y/N sad makes me sad. But it also makes me angry. At Kenji, mostly.

Sammy sits beside the two girls, and she lays a hand on Brooklyn's shoulder.

"I don't get it. Why would Kenji do this?" Yaz says.

"I don't either." Caleb adds.

"You think you know a guy." I sigh. "But then..."

"Yeah, what you all said." Sammy says. She turns to the side. "What do you think Dar..."

He holds up a finger. "Four, three, two, one."

The door opens, and a BRAD-X comes walking in. It scans us. "All accounted for." Then it turns around and leaves again, clanking away from the room

"All right guys." Darius firmly says, making Y/N lift her head and look at him. "That BRAD-X patrols every half hour. Which means we have 30 minutes to find a way outta here."

Y/N nods in understanding, wiping away her tears, and immediately stands up.

The rest of us follow hers and Darius' lead.

[Kenji POV]

My black leather shoes touch Nublar's dock and a burst of deja vu runs through my veins.

Last time I was here, I was still with... the others.

(distant roar)

"Never thought I'd be back here." I say

"Wow. Never thought I'd ever be here." Mae follows me and gazes around in wonder and awe.

The girl investor, Lana Molina, brushes past us on her way to Dad. Mae's beam turns into a frown.

(distant roar)

"Uh, dad. I don't think this is such a good idea." I nervously say. "Last time I checked, the penthouse was 1,000 percent dino-infested."

"Son, I'm not reckless." Dad says with a small smile. "I had my guys do a thorough sweep to ensure we'll be 1,000 percent safe."

"Your 'guys' ?" I frown a little. "Of course you've got 'guys'. That's so dope."

•·•

The broken mahogany door creaks open. When I look around the place, my heart drops.

I miss the others so much.

Like, remember when Darius and Caleb were so excited about Horatio's head?

Or when Y/N stuffed chips into Ben's mouth?

How about when Yasmina loved the mineral water and finished everything in one gulp?

I shake my head with a sigh, getting rid of my wistful thoughts, but failing