1. Camp Cretaceous

Sneaking out in the dead of the night

A/N: Thoughts, dreams, emphasized words, and flashbacks are in italics.

Author's words are in bold.

Important announcements are underlined

[Y/N POV]

Ben retches again into the water from the dock and I sigh.

Didn't the pill help? Maybe it's not taking effect anymore.

The others excitedly wave hi to the chatty pink-haired girl's camera, except for the girl in the body suit.

And of course Kenji, my cousin, is using his helicopter, so he's late. He's gonna keep us waiting again. I really need to talk to him about this.

A guy named Dave introduces himself as the head councillor. "That's right. Head honcho. Big shot."

"Hello Ben," he says as Ben retches into the water.

I walk over to him, and rub circles on his back for comfort.

His cheeks turn... red? That's... weird

At that moment, a large truck zooms into the dock. A British woman named Roxie comes out of the vehicle. "Sorry I'm late," she apologizes. She introduces herself as the head councillor.

We all give Dave a look, and he nervously explains, "It's sort of a co-head councillor sort of situation."

Dave and Roxie explain to us what we will be experiencing in camp.

Everyone seems excited except for Ben. He just looks nervous about it.

Darius especially seems thrilled about the dinosaurs.

"All right, let's get the 7 of you to camp!" exclaims Dave joyfully.

"There are only 6 of us." Ben awkwardly points out to Dave and Roxie.

"Wait, Wait, Wait." Dave halts, "Dino kid, Track Star, Internet girl, Barfy, Texas, Bookworm... where's the last one?"

Their names are Dino kid, Track Star, Internet Girl, and Texas?

Probably not, right? Dave is just messing with us.

And I think Ben is Barfy and I'm Bookworm.

Roxie scoffs as Kenji's helicopter whirrs down and lands. Kenji comes out looking fresh.

"Greetings my dudes. Kenji is here, so let the party commence!"

He throws his bag to Roxie and saunters over to us.

Roxie, irritated, throws it back knocking Kenji to the ground.

I suppress a smile.

Dave and Roxie lead us to the truck. We all sit down. Beside me is Ben and Kenji.

"Hey N/N," Kenji says, and loops his arm around my shoulders, a bit roughly. I feel myself shrink a little at the gesture. Why is his arm so heavy?

Carefully, I take out Kenji's arm from my shoulders. He ignores me, but leaves his hand on his lap, thankfully.

Ben kind of gives me a side-eye, and I give him a sheepish smile.

The truck starts moving. The pink-haired girl begins recording all of us again. I don't do well on cameras so just stay quiet and smile.

She rotates her phone to the dark-skinned boy and asks him how he got here.

He awkwardly says that he beat a video game to be here, and that his name is Darius Bowman.