20. Clever Girl

Blue

[Caleb POV]

(seagulls cawing)

Brooklyn and I hold the red tray steady while Darius splatters the glue on it.

"It ain't pretty, but it should be watertight"

We stand back, partly expecting it to fall. It holds.

(all sigh)

"Dope. Let's leave already!" Kenji yells

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe this is really happening!"

"Buh-bye Isla Nublar!"

"We are out of here!"

"Hold up guys," Darius says. "It says here we have to wait 48 hours for it to set"

(all groan)

"Really?"

"They have to say that for insurance and junk," Kenji taps the tray. "As your captain, I pronounce this vessel seaworth-" the tray clatters on the ground.

I give Kenji a 'Seriously?' glare.

He stares back at us nervously. Picking up the tray, and handing it to Darius, he says, "Um, I've got some captainy things to do so-"

Kenji dashes back on board and we all sigh and start over again.

"One more time"

Brooklyn starts pasting the tray on again. I hold it up for her.

Sammy taps her on the shoulder. "Hey. Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Kind of busy right now but-"

"I need your help with something personal."

Out of the blue, Brooklyn drops the sealant. "Spill everything"

Startled, the tray falls out of my grasp and Darius scoffs at Brooklyn, spreading his arms irritatedly.

We both start again for the third time.

I can't really get away from this spot, and Brooklyn and Sammy are talking so loudly, I couldn't help but overhear.

"So, I was thinking..."

"Let me guess. You have a secret crush! Is it Darius? Kenji? Caleb? Ben?"

I raise my eyebrows in amusement. If Sammy likes me then that would not work out. I don't like anybody from here. No offense Sammy

There was actually a point in time when I liked Y/N, but then I realized that Ben likes her too, and that she likes him, so I let them be.

"Uh... no...
Anyway, since we've got two more days on the island, I want to try and figure out why Manta Corp sent me here. Maybe if I can find out what they're really up to, I can use that against them and-"

"Protect your family?!" Brooklyn finishes excitedly.

"Uh-huh! But-"

"Say no more! Of course I'll help! It's gotta be related to E750!"

"I've got some-"

"It was on Wu's computer, the key card, that door on the monitors! It can't be a coincidence." Brooklyn stands up, thinking with her finger on her chin

"Uh-huh. I've got some ideas where to look. I found this map at Kenji's condo. It's pretty old, but-"

Brooklyn snatches the map out of Sammy's hands. "Don't worry! I know where to look. Let's take a gyrosphere"