21. Eye Of The Storm

Unpredictable hybrid

[Caleb POV]

I cover my mouth.

"We gotta warn the others," Brooklyn says shakily.

Just as we run out of the lab, a stampede of herbivores come running at us, and we scream and dash back. We hide behind a large rock.

Behind us, a brachiosaurus collapses on the ground. I do not want to find out what did that.

"Come on!" We jump into a crevice and avoid the rocks, running back to camp

[Y/N POV]

Darius is leaning over the balcony rail. He holds a picture of him and his dad in his hand and stares at it sadly. I want to break him out of his sadness so I offer him something.

"Hey D." I greet him.

"Hey," he mumbles and gives me a quick glance.

"Want me to teach you the command?"

His eyes light up. "Would you?!"

I smile at his sudden delight. "Of course. This is how."

I show him how to do it, while he copies me determinedly.

Kenji climbs up the ladder. "I know we still got another 12 hours until the patch on the boat is in shipshape, but it seems totes dry to me... uh, what are you two doing?"

"Practicing!" Darius says with his tongue out in concentration.

"Okay... whatever.
I really wanted to poke it to make sure, but I didn't," he says proudly. "Restraint yo."

I roll my eyes and laugh. "Good job Kenji."

Darius collapses by my side.

I sigh and smile. "Darius, you're doing it the wrong way."

"Sorry. I don't think I can get it this easily. Maybe some other time."

I nod.

"Anyway, I've always wanted to check out the Gallimimus for my field guide but never got around to it."

"Go now." Kenji says. "Brooklyn, Sammy, and Caleb are off investigating a mystery, Yaz is on a run, and Ben is probably out there being weird."

He's got a point. Ben does the strangest things.

"Nah. I gotta get the supplies collected for the trip to Costa Rica."

"I'll do it for you."

"You? Seriously? I mean, there is a lot to do and-"

Kenji puts a hand on Darius' shoulder. "Like I always say, 'The more to do, the more I got this' "

"Never heard you say that, but if you're sure..."

"Dude, positive! Go find your Galileo!"

"Awesome! Thanks for being such a team player Kenji! Make sure you pack everything we need. Food, water, and.. I'll be on channel six in case of an emergency!" Darius giddily climbs down the ladder with his field guide and a walkie-talkie in his hands.

"An emergency packing supplies? Bro-seph, I got this."

Darius opens the gate. "You are officially in charge! See ya!"

Kenji snaps up. "'In charge'?! In charge!"

He slides on his feet. "Kenji is in charge!"

Ben taps on my shoulder. "What's happening N/N?"