40. Reunited (Pt. 2)

Betrayal

[Kenji POV]

"And then there was that time we almost got eaten by a Carnotaurus. Make that two times, I think?
Then we also defeated Mitch and Tiff, and Caleb sided with us.
Now the Scorpious, that's one I'll never forget.
Well, actually, two I'll never forget."
I giddily say to my dad, wanting him to be impressed with all the surviving we'd done previously.

But then he doesn't seem like he's listening, and all he's doing is fiddling with the tablet, and ordering the BRAD to continue fixing the drone.

"I'm boring you, huh?" I ask, disappointed with the way he's acting.

"What? No, no. Of course not. I wanna hear all about it. I just... I have a lot on my palate.
For instance, how did Kash have all this time and never got the cameras working? So much to do in two days."

"Why? What's happening in two days?"

"Oh, I thought you knew. The investor presentation."

"Wait. Are you... Are you still doing the dino fights?" I ask, frowning deeply.

"Kenji, these aren't your typical investors. They're the kind of people you do not mess with. And they're expecting dinosaur fights, so that is what I'm going to give them."

"But you can't." I reproachfully say.

"I have to."

"Why?"

"The Mantah Corp board has no idea this island exists, okay? I have to turn a profit before they find out the money that I funneled here is missing. If we don't, we lose everything, son."

My expression turns hopeless. "But... But it's wrong."

"Is it? It's just dinosaurs being dinosaurs. I'm not gonna drug them, like Kash did. Besides, didn't you just tell me about all the times that you had to run away from their attacks?"

"Well, yeah, but-"

Suddenly, Dad knocks me over to the ground as the two raptors streak to us. The drones zap them, keeping us safe.

"See? Mindless killing machines will fight anyway." He points out meaningfully.

But how is Dad gonna react when he finds out that Y/N also becomes a 'mindless killing machine?' at times?

Without control?

[Y/N POV]

Sammy, Brooklyn, and I creep into the room slyly and silently.

We search all around for the files.

Brooklyn opens a drawer with her hairpin. Just like before, and it slides open.

The drawer reveals a few files inside, and I comb through them bit by bit, until I find a certain file.

"Gutierrez Ranch." I mumble, and Sammy nods in confirmation.

Brooklyn opens it and starts to read, the two of us by her sides.

"Mr. Kon owns it." Brooklyn mutters, causing Sammy to gasp. "Until their debt is paid."