31. The Long Game (Pt. 1)

Anger, worry, fear

[Ben POV]

I crash through the greenery, desperately wiping tears from my burning eyes.

No.

I'm not allowed to cry.

This all is my fault.

I lost my temper and now Y/N...

Y/N...

A sob escapes me and I push aside several ferns roughly.

After a while, I reach the home-cave of Mae. The door opens and I stumble into it.

My tears begin to flow.

"Ben!" Brooklyn notices me first. "Are you okay?"

"What happened?" Darius asks worriedly.

Everyone else floods into the room.

"Is everything okay?"

"Did something bad happen?"

"What is it?"

They're voices get louder and louder, and I cover my ears, shutting my eyes painfully close.

Mae walks to me and gently pries my hands away from my ears. "Ben, dear, just tell us. We're here for you, you know."

I let loose another sob.

Something dawns in Kenji's face. "Where's Y/N?" he snaps at me.

I shake my head. "Kash... He took her."

Kenji's eyes go wide and his face goes furious. "What do you mean, Kash? Took her? Where is she? WHAT HAPPENED TO HER, BEN?!"

If it's even possible, I feel even worse.
"A man was walking by. He was talking to himself about putting Pierce in the arctic biome. I don't know what came over me, but I just got really mad and I punched him in the face. He grabbed Y/N and he said... He said that if I hit him one more time, the BRAD would shoot electricity to Y/N. She told me to go, before Kash did anything. I didn't want to let her go- I wanted to stay- but..."

I break down into sobs and words
fail me.

Kenji yells in anger and shuts himself into one of the rooms. Brooklyn gives me one last look and runs after him.

Yasmina's and Sammy's eyes widen in shock and they both exchange devastated looks.

Mae shakes her head sadly. Caleb hopelessly collapses on the couch.

Darius' face falls. "We need to save her. We have to do something."

I just shake my head. "It's hopeless.
Y/N's... gone."

Caleb pats my shoulder. "Don't worry, Ben. We'll figure something out. But for now, maybe you can get some rest."

I shrug his hand off and just cover my face with my hands dejectedly.

Sammy and Yaz sighs deeply. "Well, we're going to go rest for a while. Yaz is really tired."

The sound of a door closing reaches my ears, but I don't lift my head.

"I don't understand what's going on here." Mae mumbles. "But maybe..." she trails off, muttering to herself.

I hear a bang from another door, almost as if Kenji punched it.

He's probably really mad at me right now because Y/N is his cousin.

Darius crouches down beside me. "How about, to get your mind off Y/N, we go and return Pierce to the desert biome with Mae? It won't solve things, but it might make you feel better."