10. The Art Of Chill

Dinosaur liberty

[Sammy POV]

We're all resting on a big tree as Darius uses a pair of binoculars to look around.

So boring.

Darius scurries down the tree and pants.

"Good news?" I hopefully ask

"Well, the eastern mountains are out since pteranodons are nesting there."

"Ugh bad news!" I look at the map and see all the crosses.

"We can't stay on Main Street because dinosaurs. The mountains, grasslands, and jungles are out because dinosaurs."

"And Kenji's penthouse is out because he's bad at math" Yaz rolls her eyes

"I didn't think my dad was serious that he would change locks if I failed algebra!" Kenji says defensively. "That is not my fault"

"That's actually completely your fault" Yaz points out.

"Well, whatever. The whole island is full of dinosaurs. We're cooked"

"We can't give up yet! We set off the emergency beacon." I remind them. "We just need to find a place to stay until rescue arrives."

"Where? It's been days. We're out of options"

"Actually," Darius stretches the word. "There's one place we haven't tried, but I'm not sure you'll like it."

•·•

"Are you serious?" Kenji looks around at the wreckage of our previous camp.
"Didn't we specifically run away from here?"

"Just hear me out. There's a stream of fresh water. We've got trees and mountains to protect us from bad weather and dinosaur attacks."
Darius grins.

Brooklyn clears her throat meaningfully

"Okay. Maybe not all dinosaur attacks. But if you were coming to rescue a bunch of campers, wouldn't this be your first place to look?" He says. "And we've even got supplies to build shelter right here! Well, broken supplies, but we could do it! Right Brooklyn?"

"What?"

"I mean, you must've made at least one video about building a shelter, right?"

"Right! All you do is videos." Kenji remembers

"Excuse me, I do lots of other stuff aside from videos! I have a whole other life! But... I did help build a barn at the 'Unboxing Amish Country' video. Just saying" she shrugs

"There it is"

"Knew it"

"Ohh I love that one!" I gush

"Well what are we waiting for? Let's clear that stuff!" Yaz limps to the debris and painfully lifts one wooden plank up.

"Um, Yaz, maybe you could rest this one out a bit?" Darius suggests

"What? No! I'm totally-" she trips and falls to the ground, letting go of the wooden board.

"It's nothing. I'm fine. I wanted to be on the ground anyway."

"This isn't nothing!" I say. "Your ankle hurts and all that running over the past few days didn't help!" I say to her.

Darius walks up to us, holding a map. "Based on this symbol, there might be some sort of clinic nearby. We'll go see if we can find anything for your ankle. Just rest here while we're gone."