Chapter 37

Rose's POV

"Finally. This is it, stay behind me, stay alert and let me do the talking." Lily said as we finally stopped running. "No matter what happens just let me handle it."

Directly in front of us the mist suddenly cut off completely, almost as if there was an invisible wall was keeping it from going any further. And not even ten feet from us was a huge temple of sorts. It was roughly shaped like a squarish pyramid made out of some kind of strange black stone.

There were spots on it which had crumbled or fallen apart and it was covered here and there with various plants, showing testimony to time over who knows how many centuries. The entire temple seemed to buzz with an intense magic aura.

Following Lily's instructions, we made sure to stay a few paces behind her as we entered the temple. After walking in through the entrance we had found ourselves walking along a dark corridor before it began to slope and we started heading under ground. After walking down the slope for a bit the light coming from the entrance could no longer reach us, effectively making it pitch black.

"Don't use light spells or anything like that," Lily whispered right as i was about to do just that. "The longer we go unnoticed the better."

Heeding her words I instead silently cast an enhancement spell on my eyes, letting me see better in the dark. We kept walking down that same slope for about another ten minutes before the path leveled back out. Somewhere around fifteen or so feet ahead of us I could make out a strange blue glow illuminating the entryway to another chamber.

       Once through I was completely stunned as I stood there looking around in awe. Both hanging from the ceiling and growing out of the walls, were giant crystals that were emitting a deep blue light, bathing the entire chamber in a cyan hue. And directly in the middle of the chamber was a stone podium that was surrounded by some sort of barrier.

       The sheer amount of magical energy in this place was easily enough to kill a normal person. For once I was thankful that we were far from normal. Strangely though, I could neither see nor sense anyone or anything else in the chamber.

               'Wasn't there supposed to be someone in here?'

       "Wait a minute, I thought that we were supposed to find someone here?" I asked Lily while continuing to look around.

                   "Oh, don't worry, she's here. You guy's might want to take a few steps back."

     Before I could ask what she meant I suddenly felt an intense bloodlust and instinctively launched myself backwards a few dozen feet. Not even a second later something smashed into the ground directly where I was just standing, hitting hard enough to create a small crater in the ground.

             "What the fuck was that?!?"