Chapter 32

Unknown POV

           This looks like it should be over pretty quickly, but I can't let my guard down now. I haven't gotten this position by being reckless,  I'm fully aware that things aren't always as they seem.

            Signaling my squad to silently spread out, they quickly and silently dashed off to get in position and wait for my signal. We had already discussed how we would do things on the way over here.

           As I was giving my men a chance to get in position I decided to observe our target, trying to take in as much detail as possible. Directly in front of me in a small clearing there were two teenage girls passed out next to a campfire.

          Judging by how the fire itself had already gone out and the coals were barely burning enough for warmth, they must have called it a night a while ago. Pretty naive of them to just go to sleep without having someone keep watch.

                    'Heh.. Amateurs...'

            We were tasked with eliminating the girls whilst also securing a "priceless artifact" of sorts, an ominous sword that apparently we weren't supposed to touch with bare skin.

         No idea why that is or why we weren't supposed to touch the damn thing but it's not our place to ask questions. Our only concern is to complete the assignment given to us without fail, but looking at the teens in front of me I'm starting to wonder why the hell they sent us.

        I've spent years earning my position and finding men worthy of working with me. We have never once failed a mission no matter what it was or how dangerous it was. From royal assassinations or acquiring blackmail on nobles to clearing dungeons and going toe to toe with giants, we've never failed.

        And yet, they sent us to take out a couple of teenage girls? I don't get it. Not only are they obviously amateurs but I don't even sense that much magical energy from them. Hell, for the most part all the energy I am sensing is coming from that sword.

        It almost feels like I'm being mocked by being given a job as stupidly simple as this. But like I said, it isn't our place to ask questions. We'll just get this done and over with, grab the sword and head back.

                  'The others should be ready by now... Let's get this over with..'

         Looking over to the tree directly across from me and waving two fingers towards the sky I gave the signal for our two mages to start casting their spells. One was to cast an area silence type of spell to make sure nobody in the surrounding area would hear anything, can never be too careful.

       The other was to cast a dream lock spell that would almost "paralyze" the target to keep them from waking up. It's only a low level spell but like I said, those girls don't exactly look like they can handle much so it should work.

        After I felt the spells being cast by sending the magical energy in the air I slowly starting walking forward while holding my hand back up and waving two fingers towards the camp, signaling for our other warrior to move in as well.

       He had taken a position closer to them then I was so he had reached them first, slowly approaching the one with the sword. After he was within striking distance I watched him take a steady stance while raising his spear, readying himself to deliver a fatal blow.

         However, just as he was about to strike he suddenly froze and just kind of stood there. Thinking that he was either repositioning himself or waiting for me to give the signal to strike, I decided to wait for a second before making an X with my fingers to give the go ahead but he still didn't move.

         Now I was just getting irritated, what the fuck was he doing? In our line of work hesitation will get you killed, either by our target or by my hand. All my men know that I don't tolerate bullshit. Letting my irritation get the better of me I ended up walking closer to just do it my damn self.

        But just as I was maybe about five feet from him and the target I realized something weird, I couldn't feel his magical energy anymore. Not a second after I realized that, something completely unexpected happened.

        The man's head slid right off his shoulders, his body collapsing directly after. And standing directly behind him, with a sadistic smile that made her canines shine I the dark and a look in her eyes that instantly made your skin crawl, was the other girl that I could have sworn was out cold a second ago.

                    'Well fuck...'