Chapter 07

Rose's POV

        Watching Cici getting closer to the door, I was tempted to just sit here and see how this plays out. She has always been a hothead and a bit of an overreacter. Usually I'm the one who either talks her down or knocks some sense into her. But it has been a pretty long time since I've seen her and it's plainly obvious that she's gotten quite a bit stronger.

         As she was just a few steps away from the door a small pillar of earth suddenly shot out of the ground in front of her, aiming towards the building. But right before it made contact it seemed to hit some kind of invisible wall and shattered.

     Clearly even more agitated, Cici tried a different tactic and the wind started rushing around her like a mini tornado. You couldn't really see much other then when the wind picked up some dust or debris, but you could here loud cracks as Cici threw multiple wind blades at the barrier.

                  "Listen here you old fart. I did not just travel across the ocean, with absolutely nothing to do but stare at water and lose my mind, just to be told we came all this way for nothing!!!" Cici yelled at she continued to apply more mana into her attack, enough so that the wind blades she was using were now glowing enough to be visible. "OPEN. THE. FUCKING. DOOR!!"

      It wasn't long before we heard something akin to glass breaking and watched as a couple of her wind blades slashed the wooden door. She had actually managed to break threw the barrier.

            "Ok. Ok. Calm down you crazy little brat.."

      Soon as we heard the lock turn and the door crack open slightly and I watched Cici immediately calm down. I'm not exaggerating when I say immediately either. Her mood did a complete one-eighty.

           'Damn this girl has to be bipolar...'

        She looked over to me now wearing a smile on her face like that didn't just happen. I could only facepalm and shake my head at her. Seeing me do so she looked at me with a confused expression but I just waved it off and started walking to the door.

        As we got up to it we could see an elderly man in a worn black cloak peeking through the crack. He had his hood up but you could still see strands of dirty hair and a long beard poking through in shades of grey and white. He also seemed to be constantly shaking every so slightly.

      'Huh... Did Cici really scare him that badly or something?'

             "Why the hell are you so adamant about learning ancient magic anyway?" The old guy asked, still not fully opening the door.

                       "Because there's someone I need to help and ancient magic is the only thing that can do it...."

             "All of today's magic is based off of the ancient stuff, there's gotta be something out there to do what you need.."

                          "If that was the case then we wouldn't be looking for some raggedy old guy isolated on an island in the middle of the sea."

             "First of all little missy, I'm not raggedy. And secondly I may have been exiled but I can come and go as I please. I just choose not too.." He seemed pretty peeved at being called raggedy. "Besides, I'm flattered that you came all this way to see me, but I'm not the only one who studied ancient magic. Why not just go to someone on the mainland?"

           "I was told that you studied a particular area if ancient magic more then the others and it also happens to be the subject I need help in.."

      Hearing that the old guy stopped shaking and I could feel an angry aura around him. He clearly wasn't too fond of the subject after all. I could feel mana starting to build up and gather around him. It was obvious that he was about to cast something.

      Cici must have noticed as well seeing as how she pulled her blade and got into a defensive position. Then suddenly I felt the mana he gathered release all at once, at the same time we were suddenly surrounded by another barrier. However this barrier wasn't invisible, instead it looked as if we were surrounded by a pitch black dome I have no idea how we could even see each other.

        Cici seemed to have a slightly panicked expression on her face but I reached out and put a hand on her shoulder to calm her. Thankfully it worked as she visibly relaxed a bit. No sooner had she calmed down we heard the old man speak but couldn't tell from where.

                     "I was exiled for my research on Soul Magic, I doubt anyone looking for it would be up to anything good. You have five seconds to give me a worthy reason you're looking for it, if I don't like the answer I will shred your souls until there is nothing left!!"

        At first I didn't know what to do. I can try explaining the situation but would he take the time to listen? I doubt he'd even listen to half of it before deciding not to believe me. But just as I started to panic a little I felt an intense heat against my back and the area around us lit up in a strange purple glow.

        Reaching behind me and pulling out my mom's blade, it was radiating a dark purple flame. At least that explains the heat and the light. I don't know why it's just now reacting but I'd like to think it's my mom's way of trying to help us out.

       So with that in mind I fully unsheathed the blade and in the same motion drive it into the ground. It sank through the stone like butter and sent out a purple wave of mana that completely shattered the dark barrier around us. The old man was standing just in front of us with a bewildered look in his face.

                  "A soul blade..... This changes everything... Come!! Come inside quickly!! There is a lot we must discuss..."