Part 62: Where's The Fight?

I just stare at him with big sopping eyes.

My whole body trembles because being a shitty wife who lies and forgets plans is not someone I ever wanted to be.

"I've lied to you all day....I snooped through my Mum's phone- through yours and your desk and calendar and nothing...I'm a terrible wife...I'm sorry." I feel overly dramatic right now and maybe I am- but I made huge mistakes today and I feel horrid for them. "What's worse is you and everyone else was so excited for tonight and I just went along with it and...and..."

I cry harder and Max just steps to me with the dog and pulls me close to his chest.

He doesn't seem angry or upset.

He doesn't seem any one particular emotion at the moment.

"Honey...I'm the one who's sorry."

"Why?! You didn't forget today...you didn't lie or go out of your way to snoop for information. You've just been so excited all day and..."

"Huh...that's not true." He sighs heavily and bites his inner cheek.

"What? What's not true?"

His lips curl into a half apologetic shit eating grin and I am beyond confused at this expression.

"Baby...huh...I don't really wanna tell you now because of how upset you are...." He inwardly groans and rubs the back of his neck with his free hand.

"What?! Max what?! Tell me!" I search his eyes and now his toothy smile seems more worrisome and nervous. "Oh for God sake's Max—what!"

I yell and the entire atrium seems to quiet for a moment or two before continuing on with its own agenda.

"I did...lie to you. Sorta...well not sorta...all day...huh...." He is beyond hesitant in telling me his secrets

"What?" I lowly growl now and he just gently pets the dog as he tries to come up with some sort of easy way to tell me whatever it is he's hiding.

"Well um...you see what's funny..."

"Max." I growl even deeper and now my entire fear of letting him down has turned into anger.

"There was...um...there was never anything actually...um planned...for tonight." He finally spouts and gives me that sweet innocent smile he likes to give me because he thinks it'll save him.

"Are...are you..." I can't even complete my sentence- I'm so pissed off.

"I just wanted to fuck with you a bit...see if you would...ya know...match my energy...and I kinda...yeah...I kinda asked everyone to play along and...and I'm so sorry, Love. If I would've known how upset you would've been- I wouldn't have... it was just to see if you'd go along with it." I put my hand up to stop his apology and I simply take the dog from him, grab my purse and start walking out of the Dam. "Baby?? Baby, wait!"

I just keep walking and frankly I'm beyond pissed off.

Here, I thought I was the one in the wrong.

Sure, it was a harmless joke.

A practical prank that normally I would have found amusing to watch.

I would have even possibly done it myself.

But for some reason.

Today.

This joke just isn't amusing or funny to me.

"Helen! Helen- where are you going?! Home is that way!" Max calls as he rushes between groups of people to chase after me. When he catches up to me, he gently holds onto my elbow and tries to stop me from moving forward. "Baby, where are you headed?"