Part 20: Barmy Bristol

It was odd being back home.

Though Bristol isn't necessarily my home home- England is and it's odd being back with the Brits.

The posh.

The barmies.

The pikeys.

Everyone.

I feel as though I time traveled back to my old days where America wasn't even a thought in my mind.

I never really hung out in Bristol.

It wasn't my thing.

Oxford, sure.

But Bristol...nah. Not for me.

Don't get me wrong- it's a lovely place to visit- but this isn't holiday and frankly I'm unsure how the psych doctors here are going to fair to the blighters elsewhere.

And let's not forget the stereotypes you hear about them.

Hippies always on the joint.

Cyclers of the hilly city.

Pirate talkers.

It's all the very same.

Though fun fact- the first woman doctor was from Bristol.

That's about it to be honest.

But I chose a very particular psychiatric facility here because I know it'll at least serve a purpose for me.

London Psychs are always wanging on about God.

However...

Penelope Umbergrad- a dear friend of mine- runs a psych clinic here in Bristol and she firmly believes in the curative properties of...well...

They don't call them jointers for nothing.

Yes.

If I'm going to deal with my own shit.

I'm going to do it on the pipe and brownie.

Now, I'm sure Kapoor would have a thing or two to say about using THC during brain recovery, but though its unproven that it can help recoveries of certain brain functions- I mostly feel it is to be used more for chilling my suicidal ideations at this point.

Besides Penny and I have chatted before I left and she firmly believes that she and her colleague Eric Parnell can get me back to at least 90% functionality. Which is what I want.

"So, Hel, how ya been?" Penny asks as she pours us tea in her study. Her study itself is a conservatory- filled with copious amounts of plants and shrubbery's, loose birds and a koi pond. As well as her own personal Irish Wolf Hound, Brüner and an orange tabby cat named Estelle- who roam about her entire facility because she believes animals help heal us in their own way.

"Good..." I've been here two days now and my speech has slowly become stronger- though I can never get more than a few syllables out before my throat feels it's going to collapse.

"Nice! How's ya room?"

"Ve..ry...nice." I sign thank you and she nods and hands me my tea. My hand shakes slightly and I try to steady it the best I can as I sip slowly.

"Good! Love to hear that. So, Eric and I have been considering everything and we are positive that a nice hot box and puddy can be a good course for today."

Smoking and playing with playdoh sounds perfect to me.

I give her a thumbs up and she smiles.

"So, before we get started, there are some rules I need to go over with ya before we jump in." I nod and set my cup down. "We here at FernWay believe that for your utmost care and success, that all outside communications be limited to a particular day and time. It will relieve you of distractions and help provide you a consistent space of comfort."