Part 17: Investigating the Truth

It was a stare off.

Between Max.

Ashley Wingate.

Iggy.

And.

Myself.

No one spoke up for a good while and I could tell it was annoying the poor young woman.

She reminds me of a model and less so of an NIH/OSHA investigator.

"Max..."I quietly say and he looks at me- Iggy nearly loses his mind when he hears me speak.

"You can't speak with her because Helen is currently relearning vocal patterns and..."

"She knows sign language and according to Dr. Raini and Dr. Kapoor- she should be able to write if needs be. Dr. Agnes Kao has agreed to interpret for us today once- so once she gets here, we can get started." Ashley firmly stands her ground with Max and I can see a vain popping out of his neck.

"I insist you give her more time."

"And I insist that you step out. You have been putting this off- both on your end and hers. She is awake. She is coherent and I am no longer waiting. Whatever you're afraid of- I'm sure your personal therapist, Dr. Sara Fields- will be more than happy to work through it with you." Max furrows his brows. "I've been doing research Max...and though you thought pushing this whole thing back would do you some good and protect whomever you wish- it only gave me more time for digging and let me inform you, I have dug up a lot. So I personally and professionally profess to you to stop avoiding me."

Damn...

I'm screwed.

"Sorry I'm late." Agnes comes in and pulls the attention from Max, who looks at me apologetically.

"That's quite alright. We were just making sure everyone understood what was happening here today. Dr. Frome- could you have this gurney removed and some more chairs brought in?"

"Of course." Iggy seems nervous as well, but he moves as though he is a cool cucumber. Nothing faltering or swaying him- just vigilance and precision.

"Thank you." Once everything is in place- they move the small table from the corner closer to my bed and draw the curtains. Ashley sits down and pulls out a tape recorder and fiddles around with it for a moment or two before opening her folder and look up at me with a fake smile. "This is Ashley Windgate- badge 22-04-385- I am at New Amsterdam Medical Hospital on September 14th, 2020. Joining me today is Dr. Ignatious Frome, head of Psychology here at New Amsterdam. Dr. Agnes Kao, medical student under supervision of Dr. Vijay Kapoor- she will be acting as interpreter. Dr. Max Goodwin, the Medica Director of New Amsterdam and Dr. Helen Sharpe former Head of oncology and Hematology and former deputy medical director at New Amsterdam."

She pauses the tape and looks at all of us. She takes note of all of us for no other reason than to prolong this process and my stomach flops. Hitting record again, she smiles and continues.

"We are here today to discuss the incidences of June 24th, 2020- where a Code Silver was enacted and resulted with intentional and nearly fatal injury to Dr. Helen Sharpe with the use of a fire arm." She pauses and writes something down before pressing record again. "Dr. Goodwin, please state from your point of few as Medical Director what took place on that day."

We all look at Max and he leans forward in his seat.

"Well, a prison from Riker's had obtained a gun..."

"I'm sorry, we have that part in the report. We need to start with the moment Dr. Sharpe became involved." Ashley interrupts and Max looks at me, annoyed before he continues.