Part 31: Mum

We arrived at the Dam and rushed into the ED. Bloom and Benny were just behind us and once there- Bloom began directing, despite still in her gown.

"Okay, people. We had a roll over vehicular accident. No deployed airbags, infant and 34 year old male!" She calls and everyone begins to rush until they bring in Max and Luna. "Let's go! This is just like any other day! Unless you want o be fired for failure to commit your jobs on your boss and his daughter. Let's move it!"

They begin again. I'm torn between staying with Luna and Max.

"Go to Luna, Helen- you're Mum now and she needs you." She states and I do as she direct. To be honest- I always thought in a personal emergency I would be more help- but now with a child I care about involved and a man I love deeply- I am rendered useless. The panic is too much.

"We're going to remove her from the car seat and check to make sure her spinal cord and discs are not damage and for no sign of paralysis as well as any soft tissue damage that may have occurred from the seat itself." Lauren states and I wonder how she is so calm right now.

Because she's an Emergency Department doctor- that's why.

This is what she lives for.

The chaos.

The fast pace.

The constant threat of something going wrong.

"Mumma!" She cries and I stroke a finger over her hand as she reaches for me.

"It's alright, baby."

"Okay, let's cut the straps in three, two and one." They cut her straps and Luna remains semi still in the car seat. Lauren gently picks her up and lays her on the table- which Luna doesn't make any obvious signs of distress or pain- she's simply scared.

They do all the normal checks and remove her clothes down to her diaper to check for any bruising or broken bones- or other abnormalities that come from improper seating and buckling.

Which there is none.

Max did a very good job making sure the buckle was over her sternum and just tight enough to keep her still and in place.

After a thorough check- no concussion, no spinal injuries- they release her into my care and Luna just clings to me tightly. I leave small kisses on her forehead and we head out to check on Max.

"Well?" I ask and Brunstetter smiles at me calmly.

"He suffered a minor concussion, whiplash, and a broken nose- but other than that just soft tissue damage and he's going to be sore for the next few days."

"Thank God."

A police officer walks over to us and takes his hat off.

"Hello, I'm Officer Greene. I'm following up on the accident that took place on the interstate involving your husband."

Oh my.

"Yes?"

"The car is totaled and due to no airbags, I would recommend your insurance file a lawsuit against the car company that sold you that car. It appears your husband was going the speed limit at the time of the accident, he must've hit the black ice and his abs triggered causing him to spin out and ultimately flip due to road conditions." He hands me a copy of his report and wishes us a good night before he leaves.

"We took Max up to the ICU just to give him a private space." Brunstetter informs me and I thank her before heading upstairs with Luna. On the way up, I pass the Gala, which still seems to be a hit and Karen seems to be doing a decent job at wooing the crowd, as no one seems overly upset or displeased with my party.