9. Troublesome

"Hiss..."

"Bear with it for a while, it's completely stuck in here."

"It just hurts too much." Mrinal eyes were red and swollen from crying earlier and now this trouble made him even more uncomfortable.

"It's all red and swollen, I'll just cut it when we get home and then apply medicine on it." Subham comforted Mrinal who was snuggling up to him in pain and patted his back.

"My ears hurt." Mrinal was embarrassed to admit that he was bawling his eyes out for his grandmother, but he couldn't stop crying so he made an excuse that his ears hurt.

Subham was not aware of his embarrassment he thought it was natural for Mrinal to be sad and felt sorry for him. Mrinal's earlobes were completely swollen and red because of the long and heavy earrings.

After a while, they reached home. Subham also picked up Mrinal and got out of the car. Subham was walking barefoot towards the gate when he heard Devdutta shooting from behind.

"Subhammmmmm! Wait, Subham."

It was already evening; Subham had no problem walking barefoot on the slightly warm ground, so he waited for them to catch up.

"Don't you need your shoes?" Devdutta asked panting a little.

Subham looked at the panting young man who had pampered all his life running for two hundred rupees, he felt a little pity. 

"Thank you for your hard work, as a reward you can keep that shoe with you." Subham sincerely thanked him and walked ahead.

"What in the world!" Devdutta exclaimed.

"Now we kind of get why you don't want to be a lawyer." Kartik patted Devdutta's shoulder, feeling a little sympathy. 

Others also felt the same.

Listening to the conversation of Subham and his friend Mrinal looked up at Subham, sensing his gaze Subham also looked down and met with a pair of resentful eyes. He was not sure where this resentment came from so he asked tentatively "What's wrong?"

"You don't want that shoe. Why?" Mrinal questioned him.

"It's just a shoe and it's pretty fancy so I won't wear it again," Subham replied

"But you'll only get married once."

Subham was completely stunned this single sentence contained too much information.

You'll get married once, that is to Mrinal.

Mrinal has him in his future vision.

Mrinal trusts him and depends on him?

Most importantly he is possessive of his things!

If before he was going with the flow now, he has to be completely serious about this.

Although he was serious and had a lot of thoughts, he didn't show it on his face and reached the entrance of the main house.

His mom led Mrinal and him to the puja house after a simple welcome ceremony. 

After putting down the coconut in his hand Mrinal was free to move around. Subham put him on the ground and took him upstairs. His friends followed behind. 

"I think even if it is not two hundred rupees, I still deserve some rewards, what do you think Subham?"

"I also think he deserves something at least." Kartik also supported his friend after all he wanted some too. 

"Fine. Ten rupees, not a paisa more than that." Subham offered him a price, to be honest, it was fine not to have it but recalling Mrinal's resentful eyes he compromised.