6. Piercing

"Is it necessary?" Subham asked while pulling a chair for Mrinal to sit down.

"Necessary? It's mandatory. Otherwise, he would have to bear much more pain on the wedding day." Miss Sudha replied while giving him a look of accusation as if saying, would you be responsible for his pain?

"What do you think Mrinal? Isn't it better to do it as soon as possible?"

"I'll listen to Aunty, It's better to do it earlier," Mrinal replied to Sudha and turned his eyes sideways to look at Subham, with a probing gaze hoping Subham would not mind his opinion. 

Sensing his gaze Subham turned sideways and looked at the cautious eyes of Mrinal, and without even his awareness said in a gentle voice, "As long as you like it."

Subham simply thought that as a boy Mrinal may not like getting his ear pierced just to get married. He wasn't sure about what a Twin would like, or any matter related to them so, it's better to take Mrinal's opinion into account.   

"Then it's settled. Sheth ji let's get it done quickly." Miss Sudha urged the store owner.

"I'm here don't worry it won't hurt. I'll Make it quick."    the store owner's  beer belly jiggled a little as he sat down and picked up a pen to make a mark and asked, "How many piercings do you want?"

Mrinal and Subham both were surprised "What do you mean how many?"

Before the man could explain Miss Sudha chipped in "Just his lobe, he's a student after all it doesn't look good for a student to have so many piercings and that's too at once."

"Right! That's not suitable for a student." 

Then Seth Ji proceeded to pierce his lobe with a gold thread after marking his lobe with a pen, to distract Mrinal Seth Ji started saying "In many cases people get their children's ear pierced at the age of six or seven, it's surprising that you didn't have it until now. Thankfully your lobes aren't that thick otherwise it would take a little more time to adjust.  It's done!"

Mrinal was pulled out from his thoughts; he was immersed in the memories of his childhood for a while and didn't notice the slight sting until Sheth Ji shouted. 

"What's wrong? Does it hurt?" Subham, seemingly aware of his zoning out asked Mrinal.

"It's fine, it does not hurt," Mrinal replied unhurriedly as he looked at his reflection in the mirror, on each of his lobes there was a gold ring.  His stubborn request as a child now seems like a joke to him. He had to beg his parents repeatedly for every little thing he wanted before being numb to their refusal and now he is not even married yet and the things he could not even think of are being brought for him without any hesitation.

He feels better about being asked,  how he feels and what he wants to do,  the kind of care he has never felt from anyone. Mrinal thought about it carefully and felt Now I'm sure I won't regret this marriage.

"Subham why don't you accompany Mrinal to his house, with the packages I have all of us can't go together."

How could Subham not understand his mother? He was aware that his mother wanted him to get familiar with Mrinal sooner however, he didn't deny that it's good to know each other even if it is a little bit before their marriage.

"Okay, you go ahead. I'll be back later." 

Looking at Miss Sudha and the driver carrying package after package into the car Mrinal didn't doubt the authenticity of her statement regarding the space inside the car and got in a taxi with Subham.

Subham sat in the taxi quietly while observing Mrinal's fidgeting appearance. After waiting for a while Subham saw that Mrinal was still uneasy so he tried to initiate a conversation to minimize the awkwardness "Which grade are you in?"