8. The Wedding

In the carriage, Devdutta pulled out a piece of paper and unfolded it in front of everyone as he spoke, "Here's the promise paper. Subham, sign this quickly."

"What is it? What legal work do you have with me?" Subham raised his eyebrows as he looked at the piece of paper with a legal seal.

"Let me explain. it's the year 1995 and we have to step up our game since I don't want to suffer any kind of grievance, if you sign this I can rest assured that I will get 200 rupees for keeping your shoes safe with me."

"Aww! Who hurt my son? Can't you trust your friend Dev?" Anand teased Devdutta.

"Wow! As expected of a lawyer's son." Kartik also agreed.

"Don't worry I've written all of our names. You are still a tender carrot, not qualified to be my father, Anand." Devdutta replied without looking back. They were sitting in the carriage, three of them were sitting on the lower step whereas Annand was sitting with Subham.

Subham thought it was funny, this young man is really funny. Without asking any more questions he signed it, this was a stamp paper without any approval of an authority, so this was nothing more than a joke.

All of them were so immersed in Devdutta's joke and the procession ahead that they didn't pay much attention to Subham's new signature, it was completely different from before.

"We are already here let's get off." Raghav jumped off the carriage. The horse-drawn carriage is a little higher than any passenger vehicle.

Subham saw Mrinal's parents and some other familiar faces, these middle-aged men were the ones who 'caught' Subham that night.

The welcome rituals were simple as they put tilak on Subham's forehead and Mrinal's Mama (Mrinal's mom's brother) led him to the stage prepared for the wedding ceremony.

Since the ritual time was set to be around 12.30 pm, he had to wait half an hour.

In the meantime, his friends had some other plans.

"Kartik and I'll be back after putting the shoes in the trunk, you guys stay here." Devdutta pulled Kartik away without waiting for anyone's reply.

"How about we get some food before it's too late?" Anand spoke as he made the gesture of eating food.

Raghav wanted to say that it won't end soon however, looking at those aunts and uncles he hesitated to say anything.

"Don't worry, there's enough to eat." Mrinal's father said as he laughed. so, the two waited until Mrinal came to the stage.

there were around thirty people around the wedding stage when Mrinal came.

Today Mrinal was wearing bright yellow silk fabric wrapped around his lower body with a combination of saree drape and dhoti, a bright pink jacket. The same bright yellow fabric was draped over his left shoulder. His slightly long hair was braided on the left side with silver-like thread which hung down below his ears, each end of the thread had a stone bead hanging on them. He was holding a round painted fan made of palm leaf, covering half of his face. only the round eyes were exposed. His hands holding the fan and his feet were dyed red with Alta.

Mrinal sat on the right of Subham, he held the fan until the pandit (priest) read mantras and allowed him to put away the fan. His Bright red lips and cheeks were dazzling to the eyes. The most eye-catching was the forehead makeup, it made him look like a divine being descending on earth.

Subham felt that Mrinal was exceptionally beautiful, gorgeous enough to win any pageant.

As soon as Mrinal put down the fan there were whispers around him, listening carefully people were praising him for his good looks and fair skin. The only fly in the ointment was Subham's friend's opinion.