CHAPTER 49 - Reach Out To The Truth

"That's... the flashdisk I destroyed. You really did recover it." Emika took and inspected the disk, ensuring it really was the one.

"Awayuki gave it to me, all battered up. It took some convincing for her to hand it to me."

"I did tell her to not give it to anyone... but considering you are part of the family, I guess it's only natural that it would fall into your hands one day." She gave the disk back to me.

"Talking about Awayuki, how is that girl doing? It's been a while since I saw her."

"Ah, she's doing fine. She still does inspections for both Nino and I's RUFs." I took my phone out of my pocket and showed Emika some pictures of Awayuki working on Nino's blue RUF.

Emika took my phone and smiled looking at the picture. "You can trust this girl with any Porsche car, she's great. Glad she's still doing what she does best. Awayuki used to tune my GT2 RS."

We both took a breather and decided to walk back to Daikou's hospital room. Nino must be wondering what the heck is happening.

While walking, I asked, "Emika-san... why haven't you attempted to contact any of us? I'm sure you have seen both Nino and I in races a lot. I thought you would've tried to come in contact with me sooner."

She gazed at the sky and after a few seconds, she replied; "I didn't want to interfere with your stride. I knew you were racing with the Shadow Hounds, and eventually our paths will collide."

"Contacting you might burden your mind, which was focusing on the semi-finals at the time. To be honest, I wasn't actually a part of 2-door-sweepers." She revealed.

"Huh? Then who do you race for?"

"Anybody willing to pay. Well, in this case, I raced for them because I knew I was going to face off against you. I wanted to know what you were really capable of. I expected nothing less of my brilliant little sister." Emika patted me on the head.

Warmth and joy filled my body, a feeling buried long ago. The last person to ever invoke this feeling was mom.

"Well, little half-sister I suppose. Teehee." Emika did the "Teehee" expression.

"Do you think I really did well?" I put my head down, doubting. Considering I only ever made it to the top 3 once, under very specific circumstances.

"I felt that you did your best. Against some ruthless and skillful opponents, you held your ground. You shined during the last section of the race. With your skills and Awayuki's tuning magic, you managed to take the win for Shadow Hounds." She noted.

"Do you think I'll ever be as good as you are?"

"We have Dad's genes in our blood. I'm sure you'll turn out great." Emika consoled.

We didn't realize we were already approaching Daikou's room. We entered, with me looking half-sweaty, ready to deliver our plans.

We had arrived.

"So err, did you get him?" Hozzai raised his eyebrow.

"Unfortunately, no. He ran too fast for me to follow. Before we knew it, he vanished. I'm sure he can't run off too far looking like that in that condition, before he gets questioned by the police for being a mentally-ill person that escaped or something." Emika shrugged.