CHAPTER 29 - Warmup Competition

Shadow Hounds' Hiace had arrived at Parts Planet. I missed its large store sign. "Parts Planet" with essential car parts around them. Mr. Kocho swiped his card to open our privileged garage.

"My RX-7! Still cool as ever." I walked to my untouched Mazda RX-7 and opened every hinged part to greet all its parts. "SI7's one and only triple-rotor Wankel engine. You're still as strong as ever." I lifted the hood at the end, because I saved the best for the last.

Everybody else did the same too. They ran towards their own rides and hugged them like a father who had worked so long and so far from his family.

After their yearning was over, Mr. Kocho called us, "Meeting, my friends! We have got the information about the upcoming race. Opponents, tracks, all of them. Athena, present them to us, please."

"Alright everyone, so we all know that we are approaching the finals for Victory Road. But don't get it wrong, we're not jumping straight into the action here. There are a few more showoff and trial events before we get to the big final event later on." Athena set down a tablet on the table.

"What? More events??" Nino slumped down her seat, sighing.

"You don't really have to race for us Nino, you're not directly a part of Shadow Hounds." Ichika offered. "Unless..." Ichika smiled at Nino.

"Ugh, I mean... I'm used to racing alone, but I guess I don't mind helping you guys out..." Nino pouted.

"Alright! We have a new potent racer in our arsenal!" I cheered. At that moment, the door swung open and Saeki and the other part of Shadow Hounds arrived.

"Sorry we were late, we ran into a bit of traffic. Or I suppose, 'traffic'." Saeki stretched and sat down on the edge of the table.

"So what do we have here?" Maeka observed the tablet.

"Extra events before the finals. It's not ranked, but if we can win these events, it'll get us some real publicity." Athena explained the benefits of participation.

"The events will consist of drag races. What I am concerned about is that none of us is really good at drag racing..." Athena concerns.

Location: Fuji Speedway, , Suntō District, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan

Drag Race best competitor:

Wangan Runners

Kokoro Tsurumaki

2038 carbon-fiber black Pagani Huayra R

Won 2038 GT Drag Race in Fuji Speedway, with 9.94-second quarter-mile record

"Kokoro?!" Mr. Kocho's eyes widened. "I guess we're gonna be seeing Mrs. Tsurumaki again pretty soon."

"Wait, again? Also, who is this Kokoro person?" Kei tilted her head.

"Let's just say she's a really good racer." Achilles scratched his head.

"A Pagani Huayra R... she must be hella rich." Saeki inspected Kokoro's car of choice.

"She looks like a rich person too. We got to see her car in the flesh earlier." I commented along.

"Anyway, back to the drag racing topic, does anyone here know how to drag race?" Athena looked at everyone in the room. Some people shook their heads, some people shrugged, but Chiya was pretty silent.

Chiya then raised her hand. "I may not be able to drag race very well, but I might know someone who does." Everyone in the room was curious.

"Ooh, Chiya has other racer friends? Who are they? Can you call them now? We might get some good pointers on how to drag race." Mr. Kocho pleaded.

"Sure thing, I guess." Chiya flipped up her phone and rang someone.

"Hey Mom, can you come over to Parts Planet and accompany us to the Fuji Speedway tomorrow?" Her soft voice spoke.

Wait, Mom?

She flipped her phone back and stated, "She agrees."