Interlude: CHAPTER C2 - Terrible Agency

"Nice to see you here, Chisato."

My mom stood straight, ready to endure this unpleasant meeting, "My daughter said that you're back into racing, aren't you?"

"You're right. That idol thing was only to take in the fresh air. What a coincidence that you kicked me out right when I was about to quit. What's your business, bringing papers and such?"

Mom noticed Ms. Hanasato's eyes on the documents, "There's a discussion between Maeka and I, and she didn't adhere to any of my words."

"May I see them?" Ms. Hanasato put her palm upward.

"No, you can't. This is a private family matter, and you have no right to get involved."

"It's my job application. She's getting in my way of getting a job," I let her get involved.

Ms. Hanasato wrinkled her forehead, "Chisato, you..."

"I won't let her jump into this, street racing scene, WON'T!" My mother failed to endure her patience. She shouted banters about how she is "concerned" about me, worried that I could die or some over the top bad omens.

"You start worrying about your daughter only when you want something from her. Pathetic."

"Hitori, I am genuin-"

"Nonsense. I know why you want Maeka, that's because the agency you're funding is failing. No one wants to invest in your business anymore. Why? Because they had found out how horrible the management is. I could list it one by one in detail, but I'm picking one that's relevant with Maeka, the treatment of idols."

"First, overexertion. You put training programs that were too much for the idols to handle. It's almost, no, exactly on par with military training. Combined with the fact that underaged people are doing them, it's inhumane. It's sickening that you could get away with the law somehow."

It triggered pieces of memory I was trying to forget.

"Akh! Hah... it hurts..." I held my ankles, while on the floor, "I can't do this anymore."

"I'm sorry Maeka. Let's stop it for now, shall we? Honestly, this kind of training is too much for anyone." Ms. Hanasato aided me.

"Mom, I don't want to do this anymore..." I cried to my mom.

"But you have to continue the family tradition! You're my proud descendant, Maeka!" My mom told me.

"I appreciate your concern, Hitori, but if they don't train that hard, they won't be able to compete."

"They won't be able to compete if their mental health breaks even before shows. You need to be more caring, Chisato."

"I do care. I want them to get as big of an income as possible. The method is by intensely practicing, then clearing all famed podiums. Thus, they can live happier."

"...You only care about the money."

Back to the present...

My mother sighed, slowly accepting her defeat.

"If I don't get the money, I won't be able to fund them. Their supplies, their equipment, their costumes... Who do you think is paying for all that? ME! I'M THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT ALL!" She bursted into a scream.